Our little man is officially 3 years old. To celebrate his third birthday, we hosted a three rex dinosaur birthday party with his friends and their families. If you are looking for some party inspiration for your dinosaur loving child, then you have come to the right place. I am taking the stress away and sharing ideas on every detail for an epic dino theme party including decor, craft table, party favors, desserts, and recipes, all in one place!
Three Rex Birthday Party
We are all about birthday themes that focus around a pun based on the age of the child. Last year, we threw a "Two Fast" Car Birthday, and the year before that we threw a "Wild One" Safari Birthday, so of course we had to do the same thing this year that would be perfect for our three year old. We considered a few popular themes like a construction theme (Dirty Thirdy), a jungle or bohemian party (Wild Young and Free), a space theme (3,2,1 Blast off), and a Mexican theme (Three-esta). But based on Kai's interests, we ultimately picked a dinosaur theme as he is obsessed with all things dinosaurs.
If you have planned a themed party for your child, you know that it takes countless hours of research and planning to put it all together. So, I am here to help save you time if you are thinking of throwing the perfect dino themed party for your little boy or girl with every last detail so that you don't have to spend too much time planning.
Three Rex Dessert Table with Decor
Three Rex Dinosaur Party Decor
Let's talk about the decor or the items that will bring the theme of your party to life. I have linked everything I used for Kai's three rex third birthday party below (in affiliate links).
- Balloons - This year, we went with a luxe style balloon garland for the dessert table, and helium balloons in the party/craft room.
- Balloon garland - We hired help this year with the garland, but you can totally do it yourself using garland tape, balloons, and double-sided balloon tape (to tape on the smaller balloons). I picked a neutral look using a combination of olive green balloons, pearl white balloons, blue slate balloons, and peacock blue balloons. Our garland was made mostly of 11-inch latex balloons, with smaller 5-inch balloons, and a few large 18-inch balloons. Our garland was hung using command hooks and fishing wire to safely secure it to the wall without damaging it.
- Dinosaur balloons - I placed 4d foil balloons around the dessert table including a stegosaurus balloon, triceratops balloon, and t-rex balloon.
- Three Rex balloon - I also added this gold foil cursive three rex balloon on the wall behind the dessert table.
- Helium balloons - I inflated a large gold foil number 3 balloon, olive green balloons, and white balloons inflated with helium and secured with green balloon weights. You can pump helium balloons using a helium tank or get them filled at your local party store.
- Loose balloons. We also had a bunch of loose balloons floating around on the ground and hung to the front door outside.
- Dinosaur figurines - I decorated the dessert table with an assortment of high-quality large dinosaur figurines including: t-rex, triceratops, brachiosaurus, brontosaurus, velociraptor, ankylosaurus, and pterodactyl. For a cheaper option, you can get a bundle of large dinosaur figurines at a fraction of the price.
- Small dinosaur figurines - I decorated the food table with these small plastic dinosaur figurines.
- Dinosaur eggs - I found hatched open porcelain eggs at my dollar store that was part of an Easter decorating kit. I stuffed a couple of them with small dinosaur figurines.
- Foam leaves - we decorated the table with foam leaves that I picked up at the dollar store. You could also use these artificial palm leaves. These are also great to add to the balloon garland to give it a more lush jungle effect.
- Wooden letters - I displayed my son's name using 5-inch white wooden letters. I taped some of the foam leaves on the back to make it fit with the dino theme.
- Dinosaur footprints - I stuck these dinosaur footprints on the floor from our front door and leading straight to the dessert table.
- Plush dinos - we also displayed a few plush dinosaurs around the house. They are the perfect touch to bring the whole look together. We went with medium-sized ones from Ikea.
Three Rex Dinosaur Party Desserts
The desserts are also something that needs to be carefully planned. These items are basically extra decorations on your dessert table.
- Cake - We purchased Kai's birthday cake from a local baker and placed it on a wooden cake stand. We topped it off with long thin gold candles. For a more economical option, you can make your own cake. You can adapt the following recipes to make a layered cake: vanilla cake, double chocolate cake, or lemon cake, and decorate with fondant. To decorate your cake in line with the dinosaur theme, try using dinosaur fondant molds. You could also top the cake with small dinosaur figurines.
- Cupcakes - We served vanilla cupcakes topped with buttercream icing and fondant eggs. You could also top them with dinosaur cupcake toppers. I placed the cupcakes on a wooden 2-tier cupcake stand.
- Sugar cookies - We purchased dinosaur sugar cookies from a local baker, but for a more economical option you can make your own sugar cookies with royal icing. I displayed them in a long wooden tray so that I could place them upright.
- Cake pops - I typically make my own cake pops, but this year I decided to purchase dinosaur egg cake pops from a local baker. Cake pops are always a fun addition to any birthday party. Try our vanilla cake pops or chocolate cake pops. You will also need cake pop sticks and a cake pop display such as this wooden cake pop stand that I used. I added some green Easter grass on top to complete the look.
- Popcorn - We served our homemade popcorn in these cute T-rex cups.
- Mousse cups - These nutella mousse cups are also great to include in the dessert table. Serve them in mini cups.
Kid's Birthday Party Desserts
Browse through following bite-sized desserts for more inspiration on some of my favourite bite-sized desserts and treats to serve at any birthday party.
Birthday Party Craft Table
One of my favorite things about this party is the craft table set up that we made. It was a great way to keep the kids entertained for quite some time. We rented 2 large kid's tables and put them together along with white chiavari chairs. Here are all the supplies that we used to make this epic birthday party craft table:
- Easel and canvas - These wooden tabletop easels and canvas were the perfect size for the kid's craft table. You can also find easels and canvases together in a bundled package set.
- Organizer caddy - I set up 2 organizer caddies to organize the art supplies in different areas.
- Markers - I used two packs of my favorite markers.
- Paint - We opted out of a paint set up to make clean up easier. If you want to include paint, be sure to include paint brushes and small paint palettes.
- Scissors - I like these safety scissors for toddlers or these blunt scissors.
- Glue - School glue and glue sticks for all crafting needs.
- Craft supplies - Include a variety of pompoms, googly eyes, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, foam alphabet stickers, feathers, multicolor paper, foam cubes, and buttons.
- Foam dinosaurs - I cut foam paper into dinosaur shapes by tracing around dinosaur cookie cutters and then cutting them out.
- Sticker puzzles - I placed out dinosaur sticker puzzles for each child.
Food and Snacks for a Dinosaur Themed Birthday Party
When it comes to birthday parties, it's all about the finger foods and dips (the less messy the better right?). We provided large Dinosaur plates served with dark green napkins. You can mix and match and use dinosaur napkins or get a party bundle set. And don't forget green straws.
Swipe through my favourite hand-held party food recipes below. Don't forget some squeeze pouches or crackers for any little ones.
Some of the most popular recipes that are always a hit with kids are:
- Pepperoni Pizza Rolls. Easy pepperoni pizza rolls are crispy on the bottom, tender and chewy inside, packed with pepperoni and cheese, and baked until bubbly. A total crowd pleaser!
- Homemade Tater Tots. Homemade tater tots with bacon are golden and crispy on the outside, yet soft and tender inside. They're packed with flavour and a total family favourite.
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks. Crunchy, cheesy, and paired with an awesome dipping sauce, these baked mozzarella sticks are just as amazing as what you would find in a restaurant!
- Pigs in a Blanket. Pigs in a blanket from scratch are a delicious and easy appetizer or snack to make for your next party or gathering — juicy, cheesy, flaky, and buttery.
- Veggie Tray. This homemade veggie tray is a quick, easy, and healthy snack or appetizer to make for your next party, with a variety of colorful vegetables and delicious dips.
- Chicken Strips. Juicy long strips of chicken shaped perfectly for dipping and coated with a flawless crispy and crunchy exterior, baked crispy chicken strips are a kid's favorite meal.
- Egg Salad Sandwich. The best egg salad sandwich is a quick and easy picnic classic loaded with perfect hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, a touch of dijon mustard and green onions.
In line with the dinosaur theme party, label little tent cards with creative phrases to describe the food such as:
- dig in
- dinosaur bones
- t-rex claws
- dino eggs
- dino track cookies
- ice age water
- lava cake
- t-rex nachos
- jurassic garden
Birthday Party Drinks
You can't have a birthday party without some juice. Serve some refreshing lemonade or iced tea, or even some bubble tea.
Dinosaur Party Favors
I set up the party favors on a separate table with a cute "adopt a dinosaur" sign. I made the sign on Microsoft Word and placed it into a wooden picture frame. We placed an assortment of medium sized dinosaur figurines that each child could take home, along with a favor box filled with dinosaur themed goodies.
I purchased these cute dinosaur treat boxes (I also loved these dinosaur treat bags). To complete the look, you can add a thank you tag tied onto the handle with burlap string, or add a dino thank you sticker on one side of the favor box.
I filled each box with:
- dinosaur stickers
- dinsaur stamp
- dino mini coloring book
- dinosaur slap bracelet
- dinosaur pull back car
- playdoh "dino" egg
- individually wrapped chocolates
You could also get a dinosaur favor bundle with everything that you need.Print
The best three rex dinosaur birthday party with ideas for an epic dino theme party including decor, craft table, party favors, desserts, and recipes.
- 3-4 finger foods
- 1-2 dips
- 3-4 desserts
- 1 drink
- Full recipe. Check each recipe for full ingredient list and recipe instructions.
- Make ahead and store. You can make or prepare almost all of the desserts ahead of time. You can store most of them at room temperature for a few days, in the refrigerator for up to one week, and in the freezer for up to 3 months. Most of the snacks can also be prepared ahead of time. Check each recipe for exact storage details.
- Reheat. If you would like to reheat any of these recipes and serve them warm, just place the in a 300F preheated oven for 5-10 minutes. If heating from frozen, let it thaw first and then reheat.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Party
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: Various
- Calories: 136
Keywords: three rex third birthday party, three rex birthday, three rex birthday party, dinosaur birthday, dinosaur party, third birthday party, boy birthday party, boy third birthday