Grilled cheese roll ups are exactly what they sound like: a fun twist on a classic grilled cheese that gives you a hot handheld lunch to enjoy on its own or with a bowl or hot soup. Ready in under 15 minutes, these grilled cheese roll ups are the perfect kid-friendly lunch for back to school, as a last-minute meal on those weekdays when dinner escapes you, or as a midnight snack. Either way, these are a crowd favorite that will satisfy your cheesy cravings no matter what.
Why You’ll Love Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
- Fun and kid-friendly. Grilled cheese is always a crowd pleaser when you need an easy lunch at home. Turning them into roll ups is a new and fun way to make them, and one that the kids absolutely love. Similar to mozzarella sticks, these roll ups will hit that sweet spot when you’re craving something cheesy and gooey.
- Quick and easy. When the hunger starts to set in, last-minute meals can be lifesavers. I love these grilled cheese roll ups because they are easy to make with just 3 simple ingredients and they’re ready to eat in less than 15 minutes.
- Great for dipping. Pairing these grilled cheese roll ups with a hot bowl of tomato soup is a no-brainer. There is seriously nothing more comforting that dipping a cheesy roll up into a warm bowl of soup.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make these easy and kid-friendly grilled cheese roll ups, you will need the following three ingredients:
- cheddar cheese slices - feel free to use yellow cheddar, white cheddar, or marble. You can also substitute with your favorite sliced cheese like havarti, pepper jack, provolone, or mozzarella.
- white toast bread - use a plain white sandwich bread. They are the easiest to roll and shape. We tested this with sourdough bread and it was much harder to keep the rolls together, but still delicious.
How to Make the Best Grilled Cheese Roll Ups
First, assemble. Remove the crust from the bread and use a rolling pin to roll it out to ¼-inch thick. Place a slice of cheddar cheese into the center of the bread and roll it up tightly.
Then, cook. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and place grilled cheese roll ups on top and cook until all sides are crispy and golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. You may have to cook in 2 batches. Transfer onto a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any excess butter. Serve warm.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- No rolling pin: If you don’t have a rolling pin at home, you can improvise with a sturdy cup or glass. You can even try to flatten the bread with the palm of your hands.
- How to store: Grilled cheese roll ups are best eaten fresh, but they will last in the refrigerator for up to three days. Store them in an airtight container.
- How to reheat: Reheat the roll ups in the same way that you cooked them on the stovetop, or pop them in a preheated 350 F oven or air fryer for 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Roasted Broccoli Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Tuna Melt Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi Sandwich
- Mediterranean Turkey Burgers
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.