Sometimes you need to balance out those game day wings, spinach dip and quesadillas with a lighter dish. So we are rounding up our Countdown to the Superbowl series with a healthier recipe: the best egg salad sandwich. But don't just save this one for game day or other events you are hosting, this will make for a healthy and delicious breakfast or lunch choice any day!
You may think I am biased but personally, this is the best egg salad I have ever had!! This stuff is not too fancy, doesn't have special ingredients, and is super easy to put together. In fact the idea is really simple: lots of chives and roughly mashed eggs that don't shy away from mayo, in between baguette loaves! I would highly recommend seeking out a really good-quality, fresh crusty loaf bread for this sandwich.
Top up the sandwich with fresh cucumber and spinach leaves to add crisp freshness. Yup this sandwich is well balanced with fresh flavors and a texture that spans from rich and creamy to crisp and crunchy... what more could you want from a sandwich?
The best egg salad sandwich is well balanced with fresh flavours of chives, creamy eggs with mayo, and crisp and crunchy cucumbers and spinach.
- 5 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped or shredded
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, finely sliced
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 long baguettes cut in half or 4 small baguettes
- 1 small cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs and mayonnaise using a fork. If salad seems dry, add more mayonnaise to reach desired consistency. Mix in the chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble sandwiches, cut your baguettes in half length-wise. Spread the egg salad mixture over the bottom halves of the baguettes, add slices of cucumber and spinach leaves. Sandwich with the top halves of the baguettes and serve.