One of my favourite things in my pantry is canned tuna. You would be surprised at the number of things that you can actually make using it. You can throw it in a salad, in pasta, or even on pizza. But one of my absolute favourite ways to use it is in a delicious, warm, crunchy tuna melt grilled cheese sandwich.
How to Make the Perfect Tuna Melt
If you are a tuna lover, then by default, you are a tuna melt lover. What you will need before you can take a bite into that crunchy and gooey sandwich is 10 minutes of time (to prepare and grill), and a few key ingredients (some of which are versatile).
- canned tuna
- green onions - you can substitute with other flavours including celery and pickles
- salt and pepper
- butter - you can use cooking spray instead (for grilling)
- toast bread - you can use any kind of bread
- cheddar cheese - you can substitute for other hard cheeses such as mozzarella, provolone, or Havarti
Tuna melt grilled cheese sandwiches are a perfect easy lunch option. But as a busy mom to a toddler, some days a tuna melt for dinner is pretty amazing. You really can’t beat a meal that’s ready in 10 minutes.
Craving more sandwiches? Try some of my Other favourites:
- Roasted broccoli grilled cheese sandwich
- Turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce
- Shanghai style vegetarian steamed buns
Get your hands on pantry staple canned tuna and make a delicious, crunchy tuna melt grilled cheese sandwich in less than 10 minutes! It's so tasty and easy!
- 1 can white tuna in water, drained
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 slices of toast bread
- 4 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp (yellow) cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, combine tuna, mayonnaise and green onions. Set aside.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of butter on each of the 4 slices of bread and pace them on a plate, butter side facing down. Divide white cheddar equally onto 2 of the slices. Top those same 2 slices with an even layer of the tuna mixture, and shredded cheddar. Top each with the remaining slice of bread (butter side on top).
- Heat a skillet or griddle pan over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Category: Sandwich
Keywords: canned tuna, tuna melt, tuna sandwich, tuna