There is just something about a good old homemade cookie that is so hard to resist. Especially when the cookie you are talking about is chewy, soft-centred, and oozing with chocolate, oatmeal cookies! These cookies are a staple in my home because they are literally the best chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I dare you to try to have just one!
Ingredients in Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Here is what you will need to get the perfect cookie:
- butter - adds flavour and crisp edges
- sugar - a combination of granulated sugar and brown sugar for sweetness
- egg - adds flavour and structure
- vanilla extract - adds flavour
- flour - adds substance to make cookies chewy
- rolled oats - adds substance and structure
- baking soda - helps leaven the dough creating a soft, fluffy cookie
- salt - adds flavour
- chocolate chips - adds flavour and sweetness
How to Make the Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
These chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are super easy to make. They go from the mixing bowl to the oven in just 10 minutes. Which means it is super kid-friendly. Even my one year old "helped" me stir in the chocolate chips at the end.
First, cream the butter with the sugars. Second, add egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Third, add flour, oats, baking soda, and salt and combine together. Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips.
Then, scoop out onto a lined baking sheet and bake. In 8 minutes, you can bite into an ooey gooey chocolately cookie. In those 8 minutes, you can clean up your single mixing bowl. Yes, if you read correctly, you mix everything in one bowl which means less clean up at the end.
The biggest problem with these cookies is that you can't just eat one. I've already eaten three and it's not even noon. Normally, I would have packed these up for my husband to take into work. But since he is currently working from home, I guess we are going to end up finishing these up fast. Excuse me while I go pour myself a tall glass of milk... and grab another cookie...
More Cookie Recipes
Did you love these cookies? You may also like:
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
- The Best Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Soft and Chewy White Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Cookies
- Jam-filled Thumbprint Cookies with Almond Glaze
- Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Heart Cookies
- Easy Sugar Cookies
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Don't forget to sign up for my email newsletter so that you don't miss any recipes. You can also follow along on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook for more recipe updates.
The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 20-22 cookies
- Diet: Vegetarian
Grab a tall glass of milk and start dipping the best homemade, soft-centered, chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies you will ever try!
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 + ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
- Add in the flour, oats, baking soda and salt and beat on low until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1-2 tablespoons of dough and place onto a lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown on the edges. Cool on a wire rack or eat right out of the oven!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oatmeal cookies, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, chewy cookies, chewy oatmeal cookies
This recipe was originally published in October 2016. It has been completely updated with new content and photos.
Scrumpdidlyumptious, highly recommend!