6 words. Jam-Filled. Thumbprint. Cookies. With. Almond. Glaze. That is all.
This year we are ringing in the new year with warm tea, jam-filled thumbprint cookies and a marathon of movies. This is my happy place! I am filling these cookies up with my favourite: raspberry jam. Plus, it is the only flavour of jam I currently have in my home. But you can use any flavour jam that you like. If you are looking to lighten this recipe, you can skip the glaze entirely.
I made a big batch so that I would have lots to take in to work and share with my co-workers. That was wishful thinking. It is so hard to resist these soft, buttery, melt-in-your mouth thumbprint cookies! At the rate I am going, this stuff is going to get eaten up in the next 2 days...
The good thing is that despite how gorgeous and sophisticated these cookies look, they are soo simple to make! All you need is a handful of ingredients and less than 20 minutes to prepare (although note that a 1-hour cooling time is required for the dough). I guess will just have to make another batch! 🙂
With a cookie this easy, they are basically a go-to for any holiday! Enjoy!
Soft, buttery, melt-in-your mouth jam-filled thumbprint cookies with almond glaze are the cutest, festive treat to make.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup jam
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk
- Cream the butter and sugar together for a couple of minutes using a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed.
- Add the vanilla and salt and continue to beat on medium until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour gradually until your mixture has formed a dough. Shape the dough into a ball (it will be a little crumbly). Tightly wrap the dough with plastic wrap and chill for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Make an indentation with your thumb (or the back of a small spoon) into the centre of each ball. The edges may crack slightly.
- Fill the indentation with jam. But be careful that you do not overfill the indentations.
- Place cookie tray into refrigerator while the oven preheats.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, extract and 1 tablespoon of almond milk.
- Add enough of the remaining milk until you reach the consistency that you like. If the mixture is too thick, add more liquid. If it is too thin, add more sugar.
- Using a spoon or a piping bag, drizzle glaze over the cooled cookies. Let set for 1-2 hours.
- Prep Time: 20 mins + 1 hour cooling time
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: jam-filled thumbprint cookies with almond glaze, thumbprint cookies with raspberry jam, shortbread thumbprint cookies, christmas cookies
Also check out these Raspberry and White Chocolate Shortbread Cookies.