What is better than the best classic, soft and chewy peanut butter cookies? To be honest, not a whole lot comes to mind. These puffy and thick peanut butter cookies stay soft for days and literally melt in your mouth. Plus, they are no chill cookie, meaning you can make them and eat them in less than 20 minutes with just a few simple steps. Get ready to fall in love with a cookie.
Growing up, I was only really familiar with peanut butter cookies that were thin, hard and crunchy. The ones that were in my great aunt's tin for what seemed to be a few weeks too long. But then something amazing happened a few years ago. I tried an incredible, soft peanut butter cookie from the bakery section of my local grocery store. I was forever changed. Now, I cannot even imagine going back to those crumbly, stiff, practically stale cookies that I grew up on.
Ingredients in Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter cookies are pretty much solely made with pantry staples. So I always have all the ingredients in my pantry, which is pretty awesome since I don't have to worry about making a trip to the grocery store.
- creamy peanut butter - can substitute for chunky peanut butter too but it will give a different texture.
- sugar - both granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
How to Make the Best Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
Soft and chewy is my new standard peanut butter cookie, and thank goodness for it! They are my go-to treat of choice to make when I am craving something sweet. I also love that don't have to wait an hour before I can eat these. It takes 10 minutes to prepare (basically while the oven is preheating anyways) and 8 minutes to bake. Yup, 8 minutes. When you are craving a delicious treat, nothing else is on your mind other than taking that first bite. Am I right? Okay, let's get started.
- Combine the wet ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter and sugars using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer), until soft and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until fully combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add these dry ingredients to your large bowl slowly, continuously mixing using your mixer.
- Form the cookies. Scoop out 1-2 tablespoons of dough and roll into 1-inch balls and then flatten into a disc (this helps prevent it from cracking). If it cracks, smooth out the cracks with your hands. Place on a half sheet baking pan lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Use a fork to press down on each disc of dough to create a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake the cookies. Bake for 8-10 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven, or as soon as tops begin to slightly crack. To keep them soft and chewy, be careful to not overbake. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
FAQ and Tips for Making the Best Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Why did my cookies turn out dry? You need to be careful not to overcook. Even cooking an extra 5 minutes will cause these cookies to get dry. If they look a little undercooked at the 8-10 minute mark, the residual heat from the pan will continue to bake them.
- Can I customize these cookies? Yes, you can easily customize these cookies in a few ways:
- folding in some chocolate chips after you have added in the dry ingredients (see my chocolate chunk peanut butter cookies).
- add in 1 tablespoon of vanilla instead of 1 teaspoon for a stronger vanilla taste
- use crunchy peanut butter instead for a different texture. The cookies will still be soft and moist but not as chewy.
- How long do these cookies keep? Store these peanut butter cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks at room temperature. To keep the cookies soft, place a slice of bread in the container. It really works.
- Can I freeze them? Transfer cooled peanut butter cookies to an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies
- The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Soft and Chewy White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Soft and Pillowy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookie Bites
- Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Heart Cookies
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.