Calling all peanut butter cookie lovers! These perfectly soft, chewy and a little crumby chocolate chunk peanut butter cookies literally melts in your mouth. Make these no chill cookies in under 20 minutes (including prep) with just a few ingredients and a few simple steps.
Ingredients in Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- creamy peanut butter - or can substitute for chunky peanut butter but note that it will give a different texture.
- sugar - both granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- chocolate chunks - I like the size of the chocolate chunks for these cookies, but feel free to use chocolate chips instead.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Cookies
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter granulated sugar, and brown sugar using a hand mixer (or stand mixer), until soft and creamy. Add in egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until fully combined.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add these dry ingredients to your large bowl slowly, continuously mixing using your mixer until combined. Then, fold in the chocolate chunks.
Roll the dough into 1 to 2-inch balls and place on an ungreased, parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a fork, press down on each ball of dough to slightly flatten and create a criss-cross pattern.
Bake for 8-10 minutes in a 350 F preheated oven, or as soon as tops begin to slightly crack. To keep them soft and chewy, be careful to not overbake. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Tips for Making Peanut Butter Cookies
- What is the texture like? These cookies and soft, chewy and a little crumby and literally melt in your mouth. You need to be careful not to overcook as even baking for an extra 5 minutes will cause the cookies to get dry. They will look a little undercooked at the 8-10 minute mark, but that is okay. The residual heat from the pan and the cookies themselves will continue to bake them.
- How long do these cookies last? Store homemade peanut butter cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks at room temperature. To keep the cookies really soft, place a slice of bread in the container. Yes, it actually works.
- Can I freeze peanut butter cookies? Yes, these cookies are freezer-friendly. Just freeze them in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Leave out in the refrigerator or at room temperature to thaw.
More Cookie Recipes
- The Best Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Soft and Chewy White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Soft and Pillowy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
- Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Heart Cookies
- Easy Sugar Cookies
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.