One of my favourite breakfast dishes to make this time of year is porridge. And what better type to make this Christmas morning than cinnamon and walnut porridge. It's creamy. It's rich. It's just plain cozy. This breakfast will instantly warm you up inside.
The combination of almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla just does something to your taste buds that is indescribable. These ingredients were made for each other! And what's great is that you don't have to ever get sick of porridge because there are so many ways to change up this recipe. Use this recipe as a base for a basic porridge and experiment with different combinations of nuts and fruits. Trust me, it will never be a dull moment.
To make the perfect Christmas morning breakfast, decorate this porridge with some cinnamon powder. You can create a heart or a happy face garnish and put a smile on your children's faces 🙂 But you don't only have to make this to create Christmas memories, make it any day of the week. Porridge gives me the energy boost I need to make it through my mornings. This is especially important on a day like today because I have a lot of work ahead of me in preparing for Christmas dinner. We are going to my parents house tonight but are hosting dinner at our place tomorrow. So I need to start prepping quite a few things today.
The ultimate wholesome breakfast. This creamy, rich and cozy cinnamon and walnut porridge is perfect to warm you up this time of year.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup walnuts
- Add all ingredients into a medium saucepan (except for the cinnamon and walnuts). Stir well and heat over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Serve with a spoonful of walnuts and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Alternatively, if you don't want the cinnamon to show as a garnish, you can add the cinnamon at the beginning into your porridge mixture.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast