No bake protein-packed breakfast energy bites are chewy, easy to make, delicious, and loaded with healthy nutrients. They are perfect for breakfast on-the-go to keep you full until lunch, as a post-workout snack, or whenever you need an energy boost. They are easy to make with a handful of real ingredients and require no cooking or baking. Plus, these vegan peanut butter energy balls can be made ahead and are freezer-friendly too. Perfect for busy mornings.
Why You'll Love No Bake Protein Energy Bites
- The perfect blend of ingredients. Peanut butter and oats are already a match made in heaven (like in these Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars). Add in some protein powder and chia seeds to help keep you full until lunch. The nuts add a welcome crunch, and the chocolate is just for fun. But trust me, it’s a worthwhile addition.
- It's quick and easy. These energy balls take just 10 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to chill. Nothing needs to be cooked or reheated. Simply combine real wholesome ingredients, form into individual bite-size pieces, and make your morning routine a little simpler. So easy!
- A great recipe for meal prep. Make a batch (or two!) of these when you get home from work and have breakfast and/or snacks lined up and ready to go all week. They are vegan, gluten-free, and satisfy all diets.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make these easy no bake protein energy balls, you will need the following ingredients (full quantities in recipe card below):
- peanut butter - or substitute with any other nut butter like almond butter, hazelnut butter, or cashew butter.
- old-fashioned rolled oats - use rolled oats and not quick oats.
- protein powder - chocolate or vanilla protein powder works.
- chia seeds
- vanilla extract
- slivered almonds
- chocolate - you can use shaved chocolate or chocolate chips.
These peanut butter protein balls are completely customizable. Feel free to add in flax seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, honey, dates, cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice.
How to Make the Best No Bake Protein Breakfast Energy Bites
- Combine ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, combine peanut butter (or nut butter), oats, protein powder, chia seeds, and vanilla extract.
- Grind nuts. Place cashews and slivered almonds into the bowl of a food processor, then blend until finely ground, about 1 minute. Add to peanut butter mixture, then stir using a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate. Fold in shaved chocolate or chocolate chips. You may need to use your hands to combine it all together. If so, wet your hands slightly first to prevent sticking.
- Cool mixture and shape. Let mixture cool in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Then use your hands to roll out into 12 small bite-size balls. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- How to store: Store these protein energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. If eating from frozen, allow them to defrost first before enjoying.
- Shape them into bars: You can also use this mixture to shape into protein bars instead of balls. Just press the mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish, refrigerate, and cut into bars.
More Breakfast-on-the-Go Recipes
- Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Almond Cranberry Chocolate Granola Bars
- Pumpkin Energy Bites
- Cinnamon Apple Granola
- Gingerbread Granola
- Fruit and Yogurt Parfait
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.