The best classic soft and chewy peanut butter cookies are puffy and thick, stay soft for days, and melt in your mouth. Make them in under 20 minutes.
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 + 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter and sugars using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer), until soft and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add these dry ingredients to your large bowl slowly, continuously mixing using your mixer.
- Scoop out 1-2 tablespoons of dough and roll into 1-inch balls, and then flatten into a disc (this helps prevent it from cracking). If it cracks, smooth out the cracks with you hands. Place the cookies on a half sheet baking pan lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Use a fork to press down on each ball of dough to create a criss-cross pattern and slightly flatten it more.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or as soon as tops begin to slightly crack. To keep them soft and chewy, be careful to not overbake. Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
How to customize: You can easily customize these cookies by folding in some chocolate chips after you have added in the dry ingredients (see my chocolate chunk peanut butter cookies). Other customizations that you can make: (1) for a stronger vanilla taste, add in 1 tablespoon of vanilla instead of 1 teaspoon, or (2) use crunchy peanut butter instead for a different texture.
How to store: Store these peanut butter cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks at room temperature. To keep the cookies soft, place a slice of bread in the container. It really works.
How to freeze: Transfer cooled peanut butter cookies to an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: peanut butter cookies, chewy cookies, chewy peanut butter cookies, soft peanut butter cookies, the best peanut butter cookies