Banana bread meets chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. I think that pretty much explains these chocolate chip banana bread cookies. They are thick, fluffy, pillowy, cake-like little bites of banana bread heaven. Think banana chocolate chip muffins but in a cookie form.
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookie Bites
- butter - brown butter will give the best results, but you can also use melted butter if you are short on time.
- mashed banana - you will need a heaping ½ cup of mashed banana which is about 1 large banana or 2 small bananas.
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar
- all-purpose flour
- oat flour - you can make your own oat flour by grinding up rolled oats. I use my blender to do this easily.
- rolled oats
- semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
How to Brown Butter
What is brown butter? It's basically melted butter with a more intense flavour that happens as a result of cooking it. It takes about 8-10 minutes, but is so worth the extra time. Brown butter elevates any dish that you use it in with a nutty and caramelized flavour. So so good.
To brown your butter:
- Cut the butter into smaller pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Use a rubber spatula, and begin stirring as soon as the butter melts. Continuously stir throughout the entire process to prevent burning. The butter will start to foam and sizzle, then you will start to see milk solids on the bottom of the pan.
- Continuously stir until butter turns a golden brown colour and gives off a nutty aroma. Once the milk solids turn a toasty brown colour, immediately remove from heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl. Allow butter to cool for 5-10 minutes.
How to Make the Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
- Brown the butter. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Continuously stir until butter turns a golden brown colour and gives off a nutty aroma. Once the milk solids turn a toasty brown colour, immediately remove from heat and pour into a heat-proof bowl. Allow butter to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a large bowl, add brown butter, mashed banana, egg, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Use a hand mixer to combine.
- Add in dry ingredients. Add in flour, oat flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Beat on low until just combined. Use a spatula to stir in ¾ cup of the chocolate chips. The cookie dough will be on the wetter side.
- Cover and refrigerate. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours. This is required to get fluffy and pillowy cookies, rather than flat ones that spread.
- Bake. Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough onto a lined cookie sheet, spaced 2 inches apart. Press in remaining chocolate chips onto the top of each cookie dough ball. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 F, until the edges and tops have set.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long do banana bread cookie bites last? They will last up to 3 days in an airtight container or ziploc bag at room temperature.
- Can you freeze them? Yes! You can freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Do you have to use brown butter? Brown butter will give the best results, but you can also use melted butter will still yield delicious results if you are short on time.
More Banana and Oatmeal Recipes
- The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Nutty Banana Bread
- Spiced Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Majoon Banana and Date Smoothie
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.