Spiced apple oatmeal muffins with crumb topping are what your life needs this autumn! Packed with fresh apples, fall spices, and oats, these muffins are the perfect breakfast, lunch or snack!
If you are a fan of apple pie, applesauce, apple cake... or any apple dessert really, then you will love these warm spiced apple muffins! Win win!
The crumb topping, officially known here as an "oat streusel topping", is pretty much the best thing that happened to this muffin. Maybe not the best, but it is pretty high up there.
It's a mixture of flour, butter, sugar and oats which turns your muffins from regular muffins into fancy schmancy muffins. Better yet, you can use the streusel recipe on top off all your favourite cakes and muffins. So be sure to save it!
Got extra apples? Just double up this recipe because the muffins are that good! AND they are freezer-friendly! So there's no rush to finish them all in a few days... although it's quite possible!
Spiced apple oatmeal muffins with crumb topping are packed with fresh apples, fall spices, and oats, to make the perfect breakfast, lunch or snack!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain full-fat yogurt
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped baking apples (approximately 2 apples)
Oat Streusel Topping:
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add the egg and beat until fully incorporated. Add the yogurt and beat until fully mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until most of the flour is mixed in, or until just combined (the batter will be very thick).
- Add in the apples and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with muffin liners or spray the inside with nonstick baking spray. Divide batter evenly among the muffin liners. Fill each cup about 85% full (I filled mine up 100% because I have very high liners).
- In a small bowl, mix together the oat streusel topping ingredients until combined and crumbly. Sprinkle a spoonful on top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.