Arugula salad with apple and pecan is a quick and easy fall salad made with fresh seasonal ingredients in just minutes. Packed with peppery arugula, crisp apples, crunchy candied pecans, and tangy feta, and tossed in a homemade lemon-honey dressing, this delicious salad is perfect for the holiday season. And with all the holiday comfort foods that are spread on your dinner table, a simple salad like this is necessary to balance it all.
Why You'll Love Arugula Salad with Apple and Pecan
- It's healthy and nourishing. Can you believe that I only discovered peppery arugula in my 20's when I was living in the UK (where it's called rocket). It seemed to be served in almost every salad, wrap, or side over there. I was intrigued and impressed when I found out the numerous health benefits it has including that it acts as a detoxifier, helps your body absorb minerals, and is anti-aging.
- So easy and delicious. You just need 4 ingredients and the dressing (also with just a few ingredients) and a few minutes to throw this salad together. And just because it's quick to make doesn't mean it's not good. This crisp apples, peppery, arugula, crunchy candied pecans, and tangy feta brings a burst of delicious flavor and texture in every bite.
- Use this salad recipe as a base. Arugula salads have become one of my go-to salads. You can the arugula and lemon-honey vinaigrette as a base, and then add whatever fresh ingredients you have on hand. It is that simple. In the summer, I pair it with peaches in our Peach Arugula Salad. In the fall, apples or pears are the perfect addition.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make this easy arugula fall salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- baby arugula - feel free to substitute with any other salad greens that you have on hand. Try it with kale, spinach, or mixed greens.
- apples - you can also substitute with other in season fruit such as pears.
- candied pecans - I added candied pecans to add a little sweetness to balance out the other flavours. You can also substitute with any nuts you have on hand such as regular raw pecans, walnuts, or slivered almonds.
- feta cheese - you can substitute with goat cheese.
- honey lemon dressing - use store-bought dressing or homemade. It is really easy to make this homemade honey lemon dressing with olive oil, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
How to Make the Best Apple Arugula Salad
Arugula salad with apple and pecan is one of the easiest salads to make. First, combine the salad ingredients -- arugula, apple, candied pecans, and feta -- in a large mixing bowl or serving dish. Then, make the dressing in a small bowl by stirring together the olive oil, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing on top of the salad and toss to combine.
How to Serve
Serve apple arugula salad as a light fall lunch or as a side salad at a holiday dinner. Some fall recipes to pair these apple salad with are:
- 60+ Fall Dinner Ideas
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Apple Cider Chicken with Butternut Squash
- Pasta Bake with Sausage
- Ham and Potatoes au Gratin
- White Chicken and Spinach Lasagna
- Make ahead instructions: To make this fall salad ahead of time, prep the ingredients and make the dressing, storing them in separate airtight containers. When ready to serve, assemble the salad and toss with the dressing.
- How to store: Apple arugula salad is best eaten fresh since the dressing will start to soften the arugula. If you happen to have leftovers, store for up to 1-2 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Fall Salad Recipes
- Fall Harvest Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple
- Apple Walnut Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Winter Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Mandarin Orange Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.