Mandarin orange salad is fresh, vibrant, tangy, and sweet, bursting with flavour in every bite. It is colourfully packed with mandarin oranges, crunchy radicchio, toasted walnuts, and sweet currants, and topped with a delicious orange-flavoured homemade salad dressing. The contrasting textures and tastes of these ingredients compliment each other in the most satisfying way. It's seriously one of the most impressive dinner salads, but most simple to make.
What I love about a salad like this is that it is completely customizable. You can really add anything in here that you want, so long as you keep the mandarin oranges. You can switch up the greens, the nuts and the currants and you have something similar but different. Some of my other favourites to make in the winter months are Winter Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette, Goat Cheese and Tangelo Winter Salad, and Apple Walnut Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Ingredients in Mandarin Orange Salad
To make this refreshing mandarin orange salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- mandarin oranges - mandarin oranges are in season early winter to early spring, so if you can get your hands on some at your local market, grab as many as can fit into your cart! Mandarins are smaller and sweeter than regular naval oranges and take only seconds to peel. They alone take this salad from ordinary to extraordinary.
- baby mixed greens - grab whichever baby greens look freshest. You can use any greens such as romaine, spinach, arugula, kale or mixed greens.
- walnuts - you can substitute with other nuts such as pecans or almonds.
- currants - you can substitute this with raisins or dried cranberries.
- Parmesan cheese
- dressing - made with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, orange zest, and salt and pepper.
How to Make the Best Mandarin Orange Salad
- Assemble the salad. Combine mixed greens and radicchio in a large bowl or on individual plates. Layer with segmented mandarin oranges, toasted walnuts, and currants. Top with sliced or grated Parmesan.
- Make the dressing. Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously to combine, then add orange zest and stir once more. The zest from one of the mandarins gives just the perfect hit of flavour.
How to Serve
Serve this salad with the dressing on top of on the side. This salad will also be just as tasty with straight up balsamic vinaigrette, so if that’s what’s in your fridge GO FOR IT. But for real, healthy eating never tasted so good.
You can keep it light and serve this mandarin orange salad alongside a soup such as a creamless cream of asparagus soup or light cream of broccoli soup, or serve it as a side salad for dinner alongside a cheesy tortellini and sausage pasta bake or skillet margherita pizza.
More Salad Recipes
- Goat Cheese and Tangelo Winter Salad
- Winter Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Fall Harvest Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
- The Best Greek Salad
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- Apple Walnut Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.