Happy 2019! Which means, we are all ready for a fresh start to tackle those new years resolutions. I feel like one of the top things on everyone's list is to eat healthier. So what better way to start the year than with a fresh goat cheese and tangelo winter salad with creamy dressing? I can't think of a better way.
What are Tangelos?
So if you don't know already, tangelos are a winter citrus fruit that, depending where you live, are in season between December and February, peaking in January. So you should be able to start spotting these at your local grocery store. Tangelos might look like an orange, but they have a much more sour taste, which is not surprising given that they are a hybrid of tangerines and grapefruit.
This flavour combinations in this salad are just impeccable. Sweet, tangy goat cheese pairs perfectly with tangelos in this light winter salad. The goat cheese offers a creamy contrast that plays off the fruit amazingly.
Paired together with crunchy, thinly sliced radishes, this salad needs nothing else. The radishes add a pop of color, as well as a slightly spicy bite, which is why a creamy dressing works really well here. I used my favorite homemade caesar, but you can switch this out with any creamy dressing you’ve got on hand. What makes the salad really pop is adding a bit of the leftover tangelo juice to the dressing. It creates this subtle, fruity flavor that I just love. And I have a feeling you will too!
Serve this tangelo winter salad with a crusty baguette alongside your favourite light entrée (try light cream of broccoli soup) and enjoy this feel good (and good for you!) salad.
Start eating healthier this year with goat cheese and tangelo winter salad with creamy dressing. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare!
- 1 (4.5 oz) package baby romaine lettuce, or your favorite spring mixed greens
- 2 tangelos
- 4 medium radishes, end trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2-3 oz. goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup caesar dressing (store-bought or homemade)
- Divide romaine lettuce equally between 6 plates, or arrange on one large platter.
- Supreme the tangelos by trimming off both ends so they will stand up easily on a cutting board. Using a sharp pairing knife, begin cutting from the top of the fruit down to the bottom, following the shape of the fruit, removing only the pith. Carefully slice the segments out, following the natural lines of the membranes which divide each segment. Place tangelo supremes in a small bowl. Squeeze the remaining juice from the membrane into a separate small bowl and set aside.
- Layer the tangelos, sliced radishes, and goat cheese on top of the romaine. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Combine caesar dressing (or other creamy dressing) with remaining juice from the tangelos, 1 teaspoon at a time. Whisk thoroughly, taste, and add more juice as needed to add a subtle tangelo flavor. Serve salad with dressing drizzled on top or served on the side.