It's finally a new year which means that we are all ready for a fresh start to tackle those new years resolutions. One of the top things on most of our lists is to try to eat a little healthier. So what better way to start the year than with a fresh goat cheese and tangelo winter salad with creamy dressing?
The flavour combinations in this healthy and light winter salad are just impeccable. Sweet, tangy goat cheese offers a creamy contrast that pairs with and plays off the tangelos amazingly well. They're paired together with crunchy, thinly sliced radishes, that add a pop of colour as well as a slightly spicy bite, which is why a creamy dressing works really wonders here.
What I love about a salad is that they are completely customizable. You can switch up the greens, the fruit and the dressing and you have something completely different. Some of my other favourites to make in the winter months are Winter Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette, Mandarin Orange Salad, and Apple Walnut Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Tangelo Winter Salad Ingredients
To make this goat cheese and tangelo winter salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- baby romaine lettuce - or any spring mixed greens)
- tangelos - tangelos are a winter citrus fruit that, depending on where you live, are in season between December and February, peaking in January. So you should be able to start spotting these at your local grocery store. Tangelos might look like an orange, but they have a much more sour taste, which is not surprising given that they are a hybrid of tangerines and grapefruit.
- goat cheese
- salt and pepper
- caesar dressing - I used my favourite homemade caesar, but you can switch this out with any creamy dressing you’ve got on hand. What makes the salad really pop is adding a bit of the leftover tangelo juice to the dressing. It creates this subtle, fruity flavour that I just love. And I have a feeling you will too.
How to Make the Best Goat Cheese and Tangelo Winter Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Arrange the lettuce. Divide romaine lettuce equally between 6 plates, or arrange on one large platter.
- Prepare the tangelos. Supreme the tangelos by trimming off both ends so they will stand up easily on a cutting board. Using a sharp pairing knife, begin cutting from the top of the fruit down to the bottom, following the shape of the fruit, removing only the pith. Carefully slice the segments out, following the natural lines of the membranes which divide each segment. Place tangelo supremes in a small bowl. Squeeze the remaining juice from the membrane into a separate small bowl and set aside.
- Assemble the salad. Layer the tangelos, sliced radishes, and goat cheese on top of the romaine lettuce. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Prepare the dressing. Combine caesar dressing (or other creamy dressing) with remaining juice from the tangelos, one teaspoon at a time. Whisk thoroughly, taste, and add more juice as needed to add a subtle tangelo flavour. Serve salad with dressing drizzled on top or on the side.
How to Serve Goat Cheese and Tangelo Winter Salad
Enjoy this feel good (and good for you!) tangelo winter salad with a crusty French baguette alongside your favourite light entrée such as a warm and cozy bowl of soup. It pairs really nicely with light cream of broccoli soup or creamy tomato potato soup.
More Salad Recipes
- Mandarin Orange Salad
- Winter Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Fall Harvest Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- Apple Walnut Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad with Hummus Dressing
- The Best Greek Salad
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.