Creamy tomato potato soup is the coziest comforting fall soup that you can make in under 25 minutes including prep. This silky smooth gluten-free and vegan soup is packed with tomatoes, potatoes and some onions and no cream. It's healthy and filling and the easiest weeknight meal. Serve with fresh basil on top and a sprinkle of feta, or even make it ahead and freeze for a rainy day.
This creamy tomato potato soup is a warm and cozy meal on its own with a side salad and some crusty bread for dipping. Some great bread to pair with this is pull apart garlic bread, rosemary garlic focaccia bread, or small batch sourdough bread.
- tomatoes - I used fresh tomatoes, but both canned or fresh tomatoes work.
- olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- toppings - feta cheese (omit this to keep it vegan or use a plant-based feta), and fresh basil leaves.
How to Make the Best Creamy Tomato Potato Soup
First, cook the potatoes. Add chopped potatoes into a medium cooking pot filled with salted water. Make sure all the potatoes are completely under water for even cooking. Bring it to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. If you can easily insert a fork inside, then it is fork tender and ready.
Meanwhile, cook the tomatoes. Heat oil in another medium cooking pot (or 4 qt. dutch oven) over medium-high heat for 2 minutes until the oil is sizzling hot. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until soft and tender. Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Then, add diced tomatoes and stir to cook for 5-7 minutes until tomatoes are soft and saucy. Stir in all the seasoning including Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Transfer the cooked potatoes together with 3-4 cups of boiling potato water (depends on how thick you prefer the soup to be) into the tomato mixture. Stir well to combine and bring the soup to a simmer.
Serve immediately in a bowl and garnish with fresh basil, extra olive oil and feta cheese on top.
Tips for Storing Tomato Soup
- How to store: Store this soup still in the pot (covered) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or transfer the soup to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
- How to freeze: Transfer soup to an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator or on the kitchen counter. Then, reheat on the stove and serve with garnish on top.
More Soup Recipes
- 30-Minute Butternut Squash Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
- Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup
This easy creamy tomato potato soup forms a part of my 25 warm and cozy fall soup recipes. Follow the link to check out all of my 25 fall favourite soups.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.