Make this silky smooth and creamy tomato potato soup in under 25 minutes. This gluten-free vegan soup is healthy and filling and the easiest weeknight meal.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3 cups tomatoes, canned or fresh, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons feta cheese (for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil leaves (for garnish)
- Cook the potatoes: Add chopped potatoes in a medium pot filled with salted water. Make sure all the potatoes are completely under water to achieve even cooking. Bring it to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. If you can easily insert a fork inside, then it is fork tender and ready.
- Cook the tomatoes: Meanwhile, heat oil in another medium pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil sizzles and shimmers. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until soft and tender. Add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and stir to cook for 5-7 minutes until tomatoes are soft and saucy. Stir in all the seasoning including Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Combine the ingredients: Transfer the cooked potatoes together with 3-4 cups of boiling potato water (depends on how thick you prefer the soup to be) into the tomato mixture. Stir well to combine and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Blend the soup: Blend the soup into a puree using an immersion blender or transfer the soup into a regular blender to puree. If using a regular blender, you will have to puree in batches.
- Serve: Serve immediately in a bowl and garnish with fresh basil, extra olive oil and feta cheese on top.
Equipment used: medium cooking pot and an immersion blender (or heavy duty blender).
How to store: You can easily store this soup by placing the pot (covered) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or transferring the soup to an airtight container and storing in the fridge.
How to freeze: To freeze, transfer soup to an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator or on the kitchen counter. Then reheat on the stove and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy tomato potato soup, creamy tomato soup with potato, vegan tomato soup