Wholesome and hearty vegetarian mushroom barley soup is the coziest soup you can make all season. It's healthy, filling, and so delicious, packed with pearl barley, mushrooms and carrots. Plus, this one pot meal is super easy to make with just 10 minutes of prep on the stove top or in a slow cooker. You can also make it a few days ahead of time or freeze it for a rainy day.
- vegetable oil
- onion + garlic
- vegetables - I used carrots and mushrooms in this soup. You can also add in other vegetables that you like such as celery, potato, sweet potato and green beans.
- barley - I used pearl barley in this soup.
- vegetable stock powder - I used vegetable stock powder to keep the soup vegan. You can also use chicken or beef stock powder.
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley - for garnish.
How to Make the Best Vegetarian Mushroom Barley Soup
First, heat oil in a medium-large pot (or Dutch oven) over medium high heat for 2 minutes until the hot oil sizzles and shimmers. Add onion, garlic and carrots. Sauté until fragrant and onion is soft and tender, about 4 minutes.
Then, add mushrooms and continue to sauté for about 3 minutes. You should notice the mushrooms start to brown a little.
How to Cook on the Stovetop
Add barley and water (add enough water to cover 4 inches above the ingredients in the pot, about 5-6 cups). Season the soup with vegetable stock powder, salt and pepper and bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent the barley from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer for 1 hour until the barley is soft and tripled in size. The barley should be soft but still chewy.
How to Cook in the Slow Cooker
Transfer sautéed vegetables to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add in water, barley, and seasoning (vegetable stock powder, salt and pepper). Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
Serve in a bowl and garnish with parsley.
How to Serve Mushroom Barley Soup
My favourite way to serve a hearty soup like mushroom barley soup is with a side of crusty homemade bread to soak it all up. Some of my favourites are easy homemade biscuits, garlic rosemary focaccia bread, easy ciabatta rolls, no knead artisan bread and sourdough bread. Or browse through all of our bread recipes.
Tips on Storing
- How to store: Keep the barley soup in the pot (covered) and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or transfer it into an airtight container and store in the fridge.
- How to freeze: Freeze barley soup in an airtight container or large freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator or on the kitchen counter, and then reheat on the stove and serve.
More Soup Recipes
- 30-Minute Butternut Squash Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
This easy vegetarian mushroom barley soup forms a part of my 25 warm and cozy fall soup recipes. Follow the link to check out all of my 25 fall favourite soups.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.