Sweet potato soup is one of my favourite soups to serve during the cool fall and winter months. This super silky smooth and creamy vegan soup is packed with sweet potatoes, some onions, garlic, carrots and seasonings. Make it in one pot in about 30 minutes. It's the easiest and most satisfying fall weeknight meal.
I like making this sweet potato soup as a meal on it's own, served with some green onion dinner rolls, small batch sourdough bread, or other crusty bread for dipping. Or, serve it as part of a complete meal with a crispy dutch oven whole roast chicken, and easy roasted cauliflower and 10-minute nutty green beans on the side.
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Soup
- olive oil
- sweet potatoes
- vegetable broth - you could also use chicken broth.
- Italiano seasoning
- ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- toppings - garnish with roasted peanuts, green onions, and sesame seeds.
How to Make the Best Sweet Potato Soup
- Sauté onions in a medium cooking pot over medium high heat, until soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Then, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add carrots and sauté for 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently for even cooking.
- Next, add sweet potato and stir to combine, about 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth and seasonings (Italiano seasoning, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper), and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potato is tender.
- Remove from heat and puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender, or transfer the soup to a heavy duty blender and puree in a couple batches. If the soup is too thick, add more broth or water to thin it out.
- Serve in bowls topped with roasted peanuts, sliced green onions and white sesame seeds.
Tips for Storing Soup
- How to store: You can easily store this soup by placing the pot (covered) in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or transferring the soup to an airtight container and storing in the fridge.
- How to freeze: To freeze, transfer soup to an airtight container and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. To serve, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator or on the kitchen counter. Then reheat on the stove and serve.
More Soup Recipes
- 30-Minute Butternut Squash Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
This easy sweet potato soup forms a part of my 25 warm and cozy fall soup recipes. Follow the link to check out all of my 25 fall favourite soups.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.