My favourite part of fall are the warm and cozy, comforting fall soups. Creamy roasted butternut squash and cauliflower soup has all the fall feels and is vegan and gluten-free. It's packed with butternut squash and cauliflower, mixed with onions and garlic and fresh herbs, and a little coconut milk for that extra creaminess. So so delicious. Plus, it's super easy to make. Think of a one sheet pan meal that is blended into a soup.
If you are like me and are a fan of roasted butternut squash soup or butternut squash and apple soup, then you will love this. It makes the perfect starter or side to add to your Thanksgiving holiday menu or for any meal this fall.
Side note - that is my very obedient one year old stepping in as my hand model, since Danny (the usual model) was at his day job.
What is in this Roasted Vegetable Soup?
- butternut squash
- cauliflower - cauliflower really adds a silky creaminess to this soup.
- fresh sage - you could also substitute with rosemary or thyme, or use a combination of the three.
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- vegetable stock
- coconut milk - this also adds a little extra creaminess. I used coconut milk to keep the recipe vegan, but you can substitute with regular cow's milk if you prefer.
How to Make the Best Roasted Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Soup
In a large ½ pan baking tray, combine butternut squash, cauliflower, onion, garlic, sage and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste, and toss to combine. Bake in a preheated 425 F oven for 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are soft and tender.
Transfer soup to a large pot, add remaining stock, and stir to combine. Bring soup to a simmer, and stir in coconut milk. Season with more salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk and fresh herbs or toasted pepitas on top.
Tips and Tricks
- Do I have to roast the vegetables? Roasting the vegetables adds an extra depth of flavour to the soup and really intensifies the flavour. But you can absolutely skip this step and just cook the soup in a pot. The soup will still be delicious. Simply, saute the oninos and garlic, then add everything else and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Puree, add coconut milk and serve.
- How thick should this soup be? As thick as you would like! I like my soup right in the middle. If you find that it is too thick, add some water until desired consistency is reached. If you find the soup is too thin, continue to simmer, uncovered, to thicken it up until you reach your desired consistency.
- How to serve: Serve this butternut squash soup with a side of homemade ciabatta bread or crusty no knead bread for dipping. Small batch sourdough bread is also one of my favourites to pair with this.
More Soup Recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Toasted Croutons
- Creamy Cauliflower and Garlic Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
- Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup
This easy roasted butternut squash and cauliflower soup forms a part of my 25 warm and cozy fall soup recipes. Follow the link to check out all of my 25 fall favourite soups.
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.