Creamy, delicious and flavourful, this Thai-inspired one pot coconut curry chicken and rice made with red curry and coconut milk and packed with incredible flavour, will become your new favourite 30-minute weeknight meal.
If you are like me and are very much into Thai food like 15-minute chicken Pad Thai or one pot Thai red curry noodle soup, then this dish is for you my friend. It has all the classic Thai flavours with the red curry paste, and the creamy coconut milk, with a splash of lime juice, if desired, and all the fresh cilantro on top.
Ingredients in Thai Curry Chicken and Rice
- chicken breasts - 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts.
- chicken marinade - plain yogurt, vegetable oil, ground paprika, salt and pepper.
- vegetable oil
- jalapeno pepper - optional, for a spicy kick.
- bay leaves
- long grain white rice - other types of rice may work, so long as it is white rice. I would not recommend using brown rice as it takes a lot longer to cook and the recipe will need to be adjusted for it.
- coconut milk - I used 1 can of regular coconut milk, but feel free to substitute with lite coconut milk.
- soy sauce
- red curry paste
- garnish - fresh cilantro or parsley and lime wedges.
How to Make the Best One Pot Coconut Curry Chicken and Rice
First, marinate the chicken. Combine chicken breasts with marinade ingredients (yogurt, oil, paprika, salt and pepper) in a mixing bowl. Stir well with a spatula to coat the chicken well. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet for 2 minutes over medium high heat until the hot oil starts to sizzle and shimmer. Place the marinated chicken on the skillet and cook for 5 minutes on each side until brown. Transfer the chicken onto a plate (the chicken does not need thoroughly cooked at this point).
In the same skillet, add onions, garlic, ginger, jalapeno and bay leaves. Stir to cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add rice and stir well to combine. Add coconut milk and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in soy sauce and red curry paste. Mix well with a spatula to coat the rice evenly.
Spread the rice evenly into a uniform layer and place the chicken back into the skillet. Cover the lid and turn the heat down to medium low. Simmer for 10 minutes until all water has evaporated.
Sprinkle finely chopped cilantro or parsley on top and a drizzle of lime juice, if desired. Serve immediately.
More One Pot/Pan Recipes
- One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
- One Pot Rice Pilaf with Carrots
- 10-Minute Vegetarian Fried Rice
- One Pot Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Miso Salmon with Bok Choy
- Tandoori Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.