If you know anything about me, you know that I am a sucker for quick and easy weeknight meals. As a full-time working woman, these type of meals are a life-saver. But luckily, quick and easy does not have to mean bland and boring. One pot Spanish chicken and rice is packed with flavour, real ingredients and is full of vibrant colours that will make your heart sing.
It's quick because it only takes about 30 minutes to cook. It's easy because everything cooks in one single pot (or skillet). That's right.... this is a no fuss, no clean up dinner. From cutting board to pot to plate.
And while you have all your ingredients tossed together in your skillet, you simply cover and let it cook on its own for 25 minutes. You don't have to monitor a thing. You don't even have to use this time to prepare side dishes because this dish, my friend, is an all-round wholesome and balanced meal. It's got your protein, it's got your grains, its got your veggies.
The only thing that will be happening in your home is you sitting down, kicking your feet up while your mouth starts salivating from the amazing aromas that will be filling up your kitchen.
Packed with flavour, real ingredients and vibrant colours, one pot Spanish chicken and rice is the perfect no fuss, no clean up weeknight meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or 1 lb.), cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce (canned or homemade)
- pinch of saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup small stuffed green olives with pimento
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- lemon wedges, to serve (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet or pot. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until chicken begins to slightly brown.
- Add onion, red pepper and garlic and cook for a few minutes until they slightly soften.
- Add the rice and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in the paprika and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add chicken stock and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and add the saffron. Cover the skillet and cook for 25 minutes until the rice is fully cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, olives and cilantro. Toss and serve with a lemon wedge.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Spanish
Variation with Chorizo
You can also change things up and add chorizo sausage to this dish. All you need to do is add 4 ounces of skinned and sliced chorizo to the pan once the chicken has been cooking for 2-3 minutes. Then cook together for another 2-3 minutes and follow the rest of the steps in the recipe.