Coconut flavours are the prevalent ingredient in almost every Thai or South Asian entree. You rarely come across an entree that doesn't call for a can of coconut milk or cream. And almost every Thai dish is served with a bowl of long-grained Jasmine rice. But sometimes plain Jasmine rice is just not enough. Once you try easy coconut rice, you will see how quickly it will turn into the option of choice.
If you aren't already excited about this dish, wait until you start to smell that amazing, aromatic coconut scent emanating from your pot of rice! You will want to scoop out a spoonful of this stuff and try it right there, uncooked and all. Trust me on this one, I've been there.
What is in Coconut Rice?
One of the best things about this recipe is that super simple and easy to make. You can cook it in less than 30 minutes, with only 4 pantry staple ingredients, so you will most likely already have them your house:
- jasmine rice
- coconut milk
The craziest thing is that I have never been a big fan of direct, strong coconut flavour, you know like the flavour found in coconut water or shredded coconut. I know, CRAZY, right? But when coconut is presented in a recipe the form of coconut milk, cream or oil, I fall in love. It is really something else. I don't really know why and I can't describe it, but it just gives the right amount of subtle flavour and amazing creaminess that has me yearning for seconds!
How to Cook Coconut Rice
Cooking coconut rice is really not any different from cooking any other rice side dish (such as Basmati rice). The only difference is the addition of coconut milk and a pinch of sugar.
To make easy coconut rice, all you do is add rice, coconut milk, water, salt and sugar to a pot and bring to a boil. You then turn the heat down to low and cover. Once it's almost done, you uncover and cook for a few minutes, then fluff and serve. So so easy!
What to Pair Coconut Rice With
But just because this rice can be paired perfectly with a Thai dish, do not be fooled! You really don't have to limit yourself to making coconut rice to solely compliment Thai dishes. This side dish can be paired with any Asian dish... or actually with type of cuisine at all. It tastes incredible paired with:
- Tiger prawns in garlic ginger soy sauce
- Pumpkin chickpea coconut curry
- Thai coconut red curry with prawns
- 20-minute one pot lentils
- Indian butter chicken
It basically goes well with any meat or vegetable dish. Soo yeah, my mouth is salivating just a little bit...
Serve it hot and pour some Thai curry (or any meat or vegetable dish) on top and devour!!
More Rice Recipes
- One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
- One Pot Rice Pilaf with Carrots
- 10-Minute Vegetarian Fried Rice
- Basmati Rice with Saffron
- 10-Minute Seafood Fried Rice
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Amazing, aromatic coconut flavours emanates from this perfect, easy coconut rice, making it the perfect side dish to almost all Thai and South Asian dishes.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 1 + 1/2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (optional for garnish)
- In a medium sized pot, rinse the jasmine rice several times until the water runs clear. Drain any excess water and add the coconut milk, water, salt and sugar.
- On high heat, allow the mixture to boil. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Fluff and serve. Garnish with some chopped cilantro.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: coconut rice, how to make coconut rice, easy coconut rice, rice, jasmine rice