Cilantro lime rice is a fresh, bright and vibrant side dish that will add extra flavour to any meal you serve it with. It's exactly what it sounds like: white rice with fresh cilantro and lime, and some added flavour from minced garlic and olive oil. The best part? This is a quick and easy, forget about it, one pot recipe that simmers on the stove while you are busy doing other things in the kitchen. Serve it in a burrito bowl or inside burritos, or alongside grilled skewers.
Why You’ll Love Cilantro Lime Rice
- It's packed with authentic Mexican flavours. We all love a good serving of rice, but it can get boring and too plain after a while. This cilantro lime rice recipe will keep things exciting in the kitchen with just a little extra effort, a few simple ingredients, and a lot of flavour.
- Cilantro lime rice is super easy to make. This cilantro lime rice is so easy to make that it’s one you can make while cooking other dishes. Mix the rice with a few simple ingredients, let it cook on the stovetop, then add in the cilantro and lime at the end. Other than that, you can forget about it while you multitask in the kitchen.
- It's a side dish with nutrients. Cilantro is more than just a delicious herb. It’s been used for thousands of years as a medicinal plant. Cilantro contains vitamins A, C, and K, folate, potassium, and manganese. So you can feel good about eating an extra serving or two.
To make this delicious and easy cilantro lime rice, you will need just a few ingredients:
- long grain rice - you can use any long-grain rice such as basmati or jasmine rice.
- olive oil or vegetable oil
- lime juice + lime zest
- fresh cilantro
How to Make the Best Cilantro Lime Rice
- In a medium sized cooking pot, wash the rice thoroughly and drain. Add water, olive oil, garlic and salt., and give it a good stir. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat, about 4-5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the rice is soft and fluffy. Add lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro, and toss to combine. Fluff with a fork and serve.
How to Serve and Store
- How to serve: Serve cilantro lime rice as a side dish to all your favourite Mexican meals. It's perfect in a Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl or as part of a Beef and Bean Burrito. You can also drizzle on some Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing for added flavour.
- How to store: Store cilantro lime rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4. days.
- How to reheat: Reheat rice by steaming it in a steamer, or putting it in a microwave-safe container and covering it with a damp paper towel. Ensure there are no gaps for air to escape. Heat in the microwave in 30-second increments or until you notice steam rising from the paper towel. This method steams the rice, so it is soft and light instead of hard and dry. You could also reheat over the stove but you may need to add some water to soften it up a bit.
More Mexican Recipes
- 30 Best Mexican Recipes
- Mexican Ground Beef Tacos
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Fish Tacos with Lime Crema
- Sheet Pan Nachos
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Baked Chicken Quesadillas
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.