Tacos have got to be one my favourite Mexican dishes. My favourite taco of all time is the fish taco. There is something incredible that happens when lime and cilantro come together with a white, flakey filet that creates a mouthful of tangy and exquisite flavour. I want everyone to be able to experience this, so today I am sharing my delicious and easy fish tacos with cabbage slaw and lime crema.
This fresh, delicious, and baked (not fried) version of fish tacos is my go-to summer recipe when I can’t think of anything else to make. They are the perfect item for lunch, dinner, a snack, game day… basically for any time of day or any occasion that your heart desires! They are my go-to not only because they taste amazing but also because they take only 25 minutes to come together. Yup, 25 minutes, and that includes time for marinating.
There are three parts to this recipe: the fish, the slaw and the crema. One cannot exist without the other. Each part complements the other to a T. Although, don’t get me wrong, this recipe is versatile to an extent. You can vary the ingredients with items that are consistent with the flavours in this recipe. For instance, you could easily add some cucumbers and carrots to the slaw. You can even add mangos or a pineapple salsa.
As for the fish, I used cod filets but you can use any white fish (try snapper, tilapia, sole, or halibut). You could also make this with shrimp. And if you are earning to use your barbecue one more time before summer comes to an end, you can grill the fish instead of baking it in the oven. Just grill each side for about 3 minutes. Whichever method that you choose to cook the fish, make sure you do not overcook it, unless of course, you intentionally want your fish to be dry.
Guacamole, salsa and sour cream are great for dipping these tacos into. Refer to my recipe for homemade easy basic guacamole and skip the store-bought stuff! It is full of weird ingredients that you don’t want to consume or feed your family with.
When lime and cilantro come together with fish, a mouthful of exquisite flavour is born. Try these easy fish tacos with lime crema and see for yourself!
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- zest from half a lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 green onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound white fish (eg. cod, snapper, talipia)
- 8 (6-inch) soft taco tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the crema ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all the slaw ingredients. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the vegetable oil, lime juice, cumin, paprika, coriander, red pepper powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip the fish into the bowl and turn the fish until it is evenly coated with the marinade. Place the fish onto a lined baking tray and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes until the fish is flaky when tested with a fork.
- Transfer the fish into a plate and break into smaller pieces using a fork.
- Heat the soft tortillas according to the directions on the package.
- Divide the fish evenly onto the tortillas.
- Top each taco with sliced avocados (optional) and 1/4 cup of the slaw. Pour 1 tablespoon of crema on top.