Easy baked chicken enchiladas brings the taste of authentic Mexican food into your kitchen -- saucy, spicy, and savoury. Baked to perfection, this restaurant-quality meal can be made easily at home. With a delicious red enchilada sauce, Mexican cheese blend, and a pop of jalapeño peppers, these easy chicken enchiladas are a flavourful dish the whole family with enjoy. They are complete and filling on their own, or you can create an entire Mexican fiesta and serve with lime cilantro rice and beans. Enjoy Mexican enchiladas any time of the day!
Why You'll Love These Baked Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked. These easy chicken enchiladas are baked in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes. The results are crispy, cheesy tops and perfectly blended flavours in a hot meal that tastes amazing fresh out of the oven or reheated the next day. Seriously, leftovers might even taste better.
- Chicken. Chicken is a mood-boosting protein that helps provide a balanced flavour to these baked enchiladas. Boneless, skinless breasts are easy to cook and a healthy, lean source of protein.
- Enchiladas. Easy baked chicken enchiladas are a take on a Mexican favourite that dates back to the Aztecs. It's no wonder why the tradition of rolling food in tortillas is still around. It's delicious! These enchiladas are slightly spicy, too, with a little kick from some jalapeño.
They're baked chicken enchiladas. What more is there to say?
To make these easy baked chicken enchiladas, you will need the following ingredients:
- vegetable oil - I used avocado oil.
- yellow onion
- chicken breasts - you need two chicken breasts (or 1 pound total).
- jalapeño peppers
- salt and pepper
- red enchilada sauce - you can use homemade enchilada sauce or store-bought -- whatever makes your life easier!
- flour tortillas
- cheese - I would recommend a Mexican blend (Tex-Mex) of cheese. You can also use any cheese that shreds and melts easily such as cheddar, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack cheese.
- fresh cilantro - for serving
- sour cream - for serving.
How to Make the Best Chicken Enchiladas
- Make the chicken. Heat oil in a large skillet for 2 minutes over medium high heat until sizzling hot. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Then, add diced chicken and stir well to cook evenly until fully cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Add jalapeño, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons enchilada sauce. Stir well until evenly combined. Set it aside.
- Roll up the enchiladas.
- Evenly spread 1-2 tablespoons enchilada sauce on each tortilla wrap.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup shredded cheese across the centre and top with 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on top.
- Carefully roll up each tortilla wrap with chicken filling.
- Bake the enchiladas. Bake in a 350°F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the melted cheese turns golden brown. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve. Serve warm with cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
- How to serve: Enchiladas taste great in their own but are even better when served with rice and beans. Whether you prefer Spanish rice, white rice, or brown rice, you can't go wrong. For beans, consider black beans, pinto beans, or refried beans.
- How to store: Store baked chicken enchiladas in a shallow airtight container in the refrigerator. Allow the enchiladas to cool to room temperature before placing in the fridge, and eat within 3-4 days.
- How to reheat: Easily reheat enchiladas in the microwave. Cover the top, but allow the air to escape in they are in a container. Reheat in 20-second increments until hot. You can also reheat these easy chicken enchiladas in the oven at 350F for 15 minutes, or in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes or until hot.
More Mexican Recipes
- Fish Tacos with Lime Crema
- Sheet Pan Beef Nachos
- Easy Guacamole
- Baked Chicken Quesadillas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Shrimp Tacos with Lime Crema Slaw
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.