It's the first of May and that means one thing people... helloooo Cinco de Mayo week! For me, Cinco de Mayo is all about the food. So what better way to kick of the week than with chipotle chicken burrito bowls with cilantro rice? I'm talking oven-baked, tender, chipotle chicken breasts served over a bowl of lime cilantro rice, sautéed bell peppers, corn, black beans and a side of guacamole. These burrito bowls are healthy, low in fat and low in sugar. There really is no better way to kick off the week.
Ingredients in Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls
- chicken breasts - skinless and boneless
- seasoning for the chipotle chicken - olive oil, garlic, honey, ground cumin, chipotle chiles, and salt.
- long grain white rice
- flavour for the cilantro lime rice - lime juice, vegetable oil, salt, fresh cilantro
- vegetable oil
- bell peppers
- corn - I used frozen, but you can also substitute with fresh or canned.
- black beans - I used canned beans, but you can also cook dried black beans. Note that you will need to soak dry beans for at least 8 hours or overnight before cooking.
- guacamole - I used my homemade guacamole.
How to Make the Perfect Burrito Bowls
There are 3 key components in the perfect burrito bowls: chicken, rice and toppings. The secret to getting this meal prepared quickly, in 30 minutes, while nothing gets cold while you are waiting for the other ingredients to cook, is to coordinate the prep and cooking of every component, so that they all come together at the exact same time. Note that the 30 minute cook time does not take into account the the 2 hour time required to marinate the chicken. This has to be done in advance.
Here is what you need to do to make these burrito bowls:
- Make the chipotle chicken. In a blender, puree together the olive oil, garlic, honey, cumin, chipotle chiles and salt until smooth. Place chicken breasts in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade inside. Seal the bag and let marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Then, bake chicken for 20-25 minutes in a preheated 450 F oven.
- Make the cilantro lime rice. In a medium sized pot, wash the rice thoroughly and drain. Stir in water, lime juice, vegetable oil and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, and once the rice has absorbed the water, turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes until rice is soft. Mix in the cilantro and serve.
- Sauté the onions and bell peppers. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Sauté the onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes until slightly tender.
- Cook the corn. In a small pot, add the corn and water. Heat over medium high for 5 minutes. Once cooked, drain in a colander.
- Prepare black beans. Drain and wash the canned black beans. Heat over medium high for 5 minutes until warm.
- Make guacamole. see recipe link.
- Assemble the burrito bowls. Place an equal portion of rice into the bottom of each bowl. Decorate the border with corn, black beans, and sautéed onions and bell peppers. Slice the chicken and place it in the centre of each bowl. Top off with a scoop of guacamole.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
- Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
- Easy Fish Tacos with Lime Crema
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Butternut Squash Quesadillas
- Easy 5-Ingredient Salsa