Whenever I’m in the mood for something light, yet satisfying, couscous is always the answer. It’s not as heavy as pasta, but it’s filling just the same. This simple, healthy, and flavourful couscous with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes cooks up in under 30 minutes, so there’s no reason you can’t get this on the table tonight!
Spring is finally here, but summer is still a long ways off. It’ll be months before we see fresh, sweet, ripe tomatoes pop up in the market. Until then, I love cooking with sun-dried tomatoes. They have such an intense flavour so you only need a small amount to pack a big punch. Start with 1/4 cup, but if you love the flavour as much as I do, you can drizzle some of the reserved oil that they’re packed in onto the cooked couscous in place of regular olive oil. So delicious!
The chicken cutlets cook up incredibly quickly on the stove, but this would be equally delicious with shredded rotisserie chicken. Use whatever makes your life easier! I have a feeling that, either way, once you pick up a fork you won’t be able to put it back down. This one is definitely a keeper.
This simple, healthy, and flavourful couscous with chicken and sun-dried tomatoes cooks up in under 30 minutes, so there’s no reason you can’t get this on the table tonight!
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 cup whole wheat cous cous
- 2 chicken cutlets (approximately 1/2 – 3/4 lbs. total)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, plus more for garnish
- Bring 1 cup of water and butter to a boil in a small sauce pan. Add couscous, stir, then cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Set aside until needed.
- Pat chicken cutlets dry, then season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet or sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add chicken and cook until evenly browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken and place on a plate. When cool, cut into bite-size pieces.
- In the same skillet, add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine couscous, chicken, red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. Stir to combine, then serve garnished with additional basil and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Serve hot or at room temperature.