Baked parmesan crusted chicken is a delicious meal that is easy to make in just under 40 minutes. Flattened pieces of chicken breast are breaded in a delicious and herby parmesan breadcrumb mixture and baked until crispy perfection. This chicken is flavourful, delicious and healthy because it's baked and not fried. Serve it alongside a salad or pasta, or slice up and serve on its own as a grown-up version of chicken strips.
Parmesan crusted chicken is kind of like the base of Chicken Parmesan (without the tomato sauce and mozzarella). Which of course, is also very delicious. Chicken dinners are always a go to around here because they are tasty and fast, so you can easily make them on a busy weeknight. Some of my other quick weeknight favourites include: Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata, Healthy Lemon Chicken, Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken, and Kung Pao Chicken.
To make delicious parmesan crusted chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
- chicken breasts - you want to use boneless and skinless breasts.
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- breadcrumbs - you can use regular breadcrumbs or Panko.
- garlic powder
- fresh parsley - you can also substitute with your favourite fresh herbs such as oregano, basil or thyme. If planning to use rosemary, just use a little bit and add in other herbs because the flavour will be overpowering.
- olive oil
- all-purpose flour - helps the eggs stick to the chicken, and creates a nice crust.
- egg - helps the parmesan-breadcrumb coating stick to the chicken.
How to Make the Best Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Prep the chicken. Using a paper towel, pat dry each chicken breast completely and place, one at a time, between 2 sheets of cling wrap or in a ziploc freezer bag. Carefully flatten the chicken breasts with a rolling pin until they are approximately ½-inch thick. Don’t pound the breasts too hard as it could tear the breast apart. Ideally, you want flattened chicken breasts with uniform thickness. Season both sides of each chicken breast with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Set aside on a plate.
- Prepare the coating. In a mixing bowl, whisk together breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, parsley and olive oil until smooth. You can also combine these ingredients into a food processor, and pulse mix until just combined. Transfer the breadcrumb mixture into a shallow plate.
- Dredge the chicken. Prepare another shallow plate with flour and a shallow plate with the beaten egg. Dip each piece of chicken into the flour to evenly coat on all sides. Then, dip into the egg to evenly coat and then coat it in the breadcrumb mixture. The flour will stick to the chicken, the egg sticks to the flour, and the breadcrumbs stick to the egg. Shake off any excess breadcrumbs.
- Bake. Transfer the breaded chicken on a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake on a 400F preheated oven for 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the internal temperature for the chicken reaches 165F as read on a meat thermometer. You can also flip the chicken once halfway through baking if you want both sides to be crispy.
- Serve. Slice into strips and serve immediately over salad or pasta.
How to Serve Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Serve this delicious baked parmesan crusted chicken over a plate of salad, such as Mixed Greens Salad, Greek Salad, or Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad with some veggies on the side. Try Sautéed Garlic Mushrooms, Roasted Garlic Green Beans, or Roasted Garlic Parmesan Baby Potatoes.
More Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chicken Parmesan (Parmigiana)
- Baked Sesame Chicken
- One Pan Garlic Roasted Chicken with Baby Potatoes
- Creamy White Chicken and Spinach Lasagna
- Creamy Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Sauce
- Skillet Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
- One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.