Tender and juicy one pan skillet chicken thighs and potatoes and carrots is an easy weeknight dinner that can be on your dinner table in less than 45 minutes. Packed with succulent, tender chicken thighs with the crispiest skin, and comforting potatoes and carrots that are immersed in incredible flavour. This wholesome one pan chicken dinner one that we regularly make on repeat over here. It's just that good.
- chicken thighs - 2 lbs of chicken thighs. Depending on the size of the thighs, that could be 4-8 thighs. I used 4 very large thighs.
- seasoning - this dish is seasoned with a few very simple ingredients, but with so much flavour. I used Italian seasoning, paprika, salt and pepper.
- butter - for searing the chicken. You can also use olive oil and keep the dish dairy-free.
- baby potatoes - 2 cups of halved baby potatoes (about 20-25 baby potatoes). You can also used regular sized potatoes, just cut them into bite sized pieces.
- carrots - I like carrots to add some variety, but feel free to leave them out if you prefer.
How to Make the Best One Pan Skillet Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
First, prep the chicken. Pat dry each chicken thigh with a paper towel completely before adding seasoning. This helps create extra crispy skins when searing.
Then, apply the seasoning rub. In a medium bowl, add Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper mix well to combine. Generously rub ¾ of the seasoning mixture all over the chicken thighs, on both sides (using disposable gloves helps make clean up easier).
Add onions, garlic, potatoes, and carrots to the bowl with the remaining seasoning mixture. Toss to combine.
Now, let's sear the chicken. Melt the butter in a cast-iron skillet (or dutch oven) over medium high heat for 1-2 minutes until hot. Place the chicken thighs with the skin side down on the skillet, and sear for 2-3 minutes until the skin turns brown and crispy. Flip the chicken over and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes. Remove the chicken thighs from the skillet and place them on a plate.
On the same skillet, add the vegetables and stir well to combine. Cook for 3-4 minutes until onions are soft and start to slightly brown. Remove from heat and place chicken thighs on top, skin side up.
Transfer the skillet into a preheated 400 F oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the internal temperature for the chicken thighs reaches 165F, as read on a meat thermometer. Remove the skillet from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
How to Serve Skillet Chicken
The beauty of this skillet recipe is that it is a one pan recipe, meaning you don't need to make anything else to serve it with. You have the chicken alongside delicious roasted potatoes and carrots.
How to Store Chicken
Store cooked chicken thighs in an airtight container with the vegetables and any juices from the pan. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. To reheat, place in the microwave, air fryer, or oven at 300F for 5-10 minutes.
More One Pan Chicken Recipes
- Apple Dijon Braised Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Skillet Chicken with Lemon Garlic Sauce
- Meal Prep Sheet Pan Balsamic Chicken and Vegetables
- Sheet Pan Soy-Glazed Chicken Thighs
- One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice
- Dutch Oven Whole Roast Chicken
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.