Mediterranean chickpea wedge salad with hummus dressing is the king of all salads. It's a beautifully presented salad served as a wedge salad on a halved heart of romaine, topped with roasted chickpeas, crunchy vegetables, and a delicious creamy hummus dressing which gives this dish that familiar, deconstructed falafel flavour that is going to blow your mind. Seriously, this is reason enough to keep extra cans of chickpeas on hand! You’ve got to try this one. It's SO good.
This chickpea wedge salad is the perfect meal on it's own with a side of pita bread. You can also serve it as part of a full-course meal with Chicken Souvlaki, Lamb Souvlaki, or Souvlaki Beef Shish Kebabs, a pot of One Pot Rice Pilaf, and Greek Lemon Roasted Baby Potatoes.
To make this delicious Mediterranean chickpea wedge salad with hummus dressing, you will need the following ingredients:
- chickpeas - you will need one 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed. Chickpeas are an unassuming and inexpensive ingredient, but that doesn’t mean they can’t transform into something truly stellar. Toss them with olive oil and your favourite blend of spices, bake until golden brown and crunchy, and you will not believe how much flavour they add to this or any dish. In fact, you could double the recipe for the chickpeas and keep them on hand as a healthy snack all week! For this recipe, toss the chickpeas in the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- romaine lettuce hearts - you could easily also adapt this entire salad using pre-bagged lettuce (stick with romaine or switch to fresh spinach, spring greens, or even mesclun!).
- red onion
- roasted red peppers - you can use storebought roasted red peppers or roast your own. I provide full instructions for roasting red pepper in this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus recipe.
- feta cheese
- hummus dressing - made with hummus, tahini, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil.
How to Make the Best Mediterranean Chickpea Wedge Salad with Hummus Dressing
- Roast the chickpeas. Place drained and rinsed chickpeas on a paper towel or kitchen towel to dry completely. In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, olive oil, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then place on a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper, making sure the chickpeas are in a single layer. Bake in a 400F preheated oven for 25 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through to ensure they crisp up evenly on all sides. Set aside to cool.
- Make the hummus dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together hummus, tahini, lemon juice, and salt. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and mix until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad. Slice romaine lettuce hearts in half or in quarters (depending on the size) to create large, individual portions. Place them on one large tray or on individual plates. Top each lettuce heart with equal amounts of cucumber, red onion, and roasted red peppers. Top with heaping spoonfuls of roasted chickpeas. Then, drizzle the hummus dressing on top and garnish with crumbled feta cheese.
- Serve. Serve immediately or at room temperature with some pita bread on the side.
More Salad Recipes
- Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- The Best Greek Salad
- Persian Shirazi Salad with Cucumber and Tomatoes
- Chinese Garlic Cucumber Salad
- Mandarin Orange Salad
- Winter Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Fall Harvest Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
- Apple Walnut Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.