Stop everything because this Mediterranean chickpea wedge salad with hummus dressing is the king of all salads.
I love serving this as a wedge salad on a beautiful halved heart of romaine — the presentation alone is striking! -- but you could easily adapt the entire salad using pre-bagged lettuce (stick with romaine or switch to fresh spinach, spring greens, or even mesclun!). It’s the combination of chickpeas, toppings, and that dressing, omg, that give this dish that familiar, deconstructed falafel flavor that is going to blow your mind. Guys, this is reason enough to keep extra cans of chickpeas on hand! You’ve gotta try this!!!
Chickpeas are an unassuming and inexpensive ingredient, but that doesn’t mean they can’t transform into something truly stellar. Toss them with olive oil and your favorite blend of spices, bake until golden brown and crunchy, and you will not believe how much flavor they add to this or any dish.
In fact, you could double the recipe for the chickpeas and keep them on hand as a healthy snack all week!
This chickpea wedge salad with hummus dressing combines chickpeas, toppings, and hummus for a deconstructed falafel flavor that is going to blow your mind!
- 1 (15 oz.) container chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, cut into wedges
- ½ medium cucumber, thinly sliced into half moons
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice from half a lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place drained and rinsed chickpeas on a paper towel or kitchen towel to dry completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, olive oil, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then place on a parchment lined baking sheet, making sure the chickpeas are in a single layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through to ensure they crisp up evenly on all sides. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a small bowl, combine hummus, tahini, salt, and lemon juice. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and mix until thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Set aside.
- Slice romaine lettuce hearts in half or in quarters, depending on size, to create large, individual portions. Place on one large tray or individual plates. Top each lettuce heart with equal amounts of cucumber, red onion, and roasted red peppers. Top with heaping spoonfuls of roasted chickpeas. Drizzle with hummus dressing and garnish with crumbled feta cheese. Serve immediately or at room temperature.