Summer vibes are in full swing over here as we are sharing grilled skewers recipes all week. These easy Greek souvlaki beef shish kebabs are marinated in a simple marinade made with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and dried herbs, and threaded with fresh bell peppers, zucchini and red onions. It’s the easiest meal to prepare and throw on the grill or in the oven. Serve it stuffed inside pita bread with some tzatziki sauce on top. So so good.
What is in Beef Souvlaki?
- sirloin strip beef steak - cut into 1 + ½ inch cubes. You can also use top sirloin.
- souvlaki marinade - made with a combination of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- vegetables - red bell pepper, red onion, and zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- olive oil - for grilling.
How to Make the Best Greek Souvlaki Beef Shish Kebabs
- Marinate the beef steak. Add cubed beef into a zip-loc bag Add olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, salt and pepper. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the marinade around the beef steak to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Skewer the beef. Thread the beef onto skewers, alternating with red bell peppers, red onion, and zucchini.
- Grill the skewers. Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat for 4-5 minutes and lightly brush the grill with olive oil. You should notice the oil shimmer and sizzle when it's hot and ready. Grill the beef skewers for 8-10 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature for the beef reaches 155 F. For well done beef, cook for another 1-2 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches above 160 F.
Tips for Making Beef Skewers
- Marinate the beef. It is crucial to let the beef marinate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse and for it to get juicier. The lemon juice in the marinade also tenderizes the beef steak. I prefer letting it marinate overnight for best results, if you have the time.
- Italian seasoning substitute. I use Italian seasoning on almost all my marinade recipes because it’s so versatile and contains a great blend of dried herbs and spices, including oregano, parsley, basil and thyme. To use dried herbs instead, add ½ tablespoon each of dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basil, and dried thyme.
- How to make the beef even more tender. Turn off the heat and remove the the grill from heat a couple minutes earlier, when the internal temperature reaches 150 F (5 degrees lower than the desired level). Let it rest for a few minutes in the pan as the residual heat will continue to cook the skewers. Resting after cooking helps the juices redistribute into the meat. Once the internal temperature reaches 155 F, remove from the pan and serve.
- Use a digital thermometer. A digital meat thermometer is very useful when grilling meat skewers for checking doneness. Simply insert halfway inside the meat to get a quick measurement.
- Double up the recipe. This is a smaller batch recipe that makes 5 skewers. You can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd.
- How to cook skewers in the oven. If you prefer, you can cook these skewers in the oven instead. This way you can cook them all year round. Simply place the skewers on a baking tray and broil on high for 4-5 minutes per side.
- How to store. Unthread the beef souvlaki and store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
How to Serve Greek Beef Souvlaki
Serve these souvlaki beef skewers alongside a side of pilaf rice, lemon potatoes and Greek salad. Don't forget to slather lots of tzatziki sauce on top. You can make your own homemade sauce in less than 5 minutes using Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. You can also stuff these shish kebabs into homemade pitas with tzatziki sauce and/or hummus. You can also stuff these skewers inside pita bread to make a Greek gyro wrap. So so delicious.
More Grilled Skewers
- Easy Greek Souvlaki Chicken Skewers
- Spicy Cumin Lamb Skewers
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with Pineapple
- Greek Souvlaki Lamb Skewers
- Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.