Bring out the grill because easy Greek chicken souvlaki skewers are on the menu tonight. These classic skewers are marinated in garlic, fresh parsley and dill, lemon and bay leaves to give that classic Mediterranean flavour. Marinate the chicken at least an hour in advance and spend less than 15 minutes grilling. It's the best addition to your summer cookout or weeknight meal.
What is in Chicken Souvlaki?
- chicken breast - cut into 1 to 2-inch cubes.
- souvlaki marinade - made with a combination of water, garlic, parsley, dill, honey (or granulated sugar), salt, lemon, bay leaves.
- salt and pepper - to season the skewers. You can also add some Italiano seasoning (optional).
- olive oil - for grilling.
How to Make the Best Greek Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- Prepare the marinade. Add all of the ingredients for the chicken marinade into a small pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool off for 1 hour. It should be cooled down completely.
- Marinate the chicken. Cut the chicken breasts into 1 to 2-inch thick cubes (I cut out 10 small cubes from each breast). Add the cubes into the marinade and let them soak in for 1 hour.
- Skewer the chicken. Drain the chicken pieces with a colander and remove excess marinade with paper towels. Thread the chicken onto skewers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers. Lightly brush olive oil over grill pan. Preheat the grill over medium high heat for about 5 minutes, until sizzling hot. Cook the chicken skewers for 7 minutes on each side or until its internal temperature reaches 165 F (75 C).
Tips for Making Souvlaki Chicken Skewers
- Marinate the chicken. It is crucial to let the chicken marinate at least for an hour to allow the flavours to infuse and for it to get juicier. If you are able to let it marinate even longer, it will taste that much better. I prefer letting it marinate overnight, if you have the time.
- Double up the recipe. This recipe that makes about 10 skewers. You can easily double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd.
- How to serve. Serve these chicken souvlaki skewers with a side of pilaf rice, pita bread, lemon potatoes and Greek salad. Don't forget to slather lots of tzatziki sauce on top. You can make your own homemade sauce in less than 5 minutes using Greek yogurt, cucumber, dill, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper. The sauce also needs an hour to refrigerate to let the flavours infuse into the yogurt. So you can plan this while your chicken is marinating as well.
- Make a Greek gyro. Wrap these juicy skewers inside a pita and top with Greek salad and a generous spoonful of homemade tzatziki sauce to make easy homemade Greek chicken gyros.
- How to cook skewers in the oven instead. You can absolutely cook these skewers in the oven as well. This way you can cook them all year round. They just won't have those charred grill marks, but will still taste delicious. To bake, place skewers on a baking tray and roast at 480 F for 12-13 minutes, or when the internal temperature reaches 165 F. You can add some charring by then placing under the broiler on high for 1 minute. Keep a close eye on them, because they can burn quickly.
- How to store. Unthread the chicken souvlaki and store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
More Grilled Skewer Recipes
- Souvlaki Beef Shish Kebabs
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with Pineapple
- Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Greek Lamb Souvlaki Skewers
- Spicy Cumin Lamb Skewers
- Persian Saffron Chicken Kebabs (Joojeh Kabob)
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.