I have been eating way too many Persian sweets and treats this past week in celebration of our Persian New Years. Which explains why I am craving a healthy salad. And it doesn’t get any healthier than a greek salad. *Correction: than the perfect greek salad.
I love Greek food and I love salad… so it goes without saying that I love Greek salad. In fact, it is one of my favourite salads of all time. For starters, I could eat olives and feta cheese all day. I eat olives… out of the container… with a spoon… So, how can I say no to a salad that contains all of my favourites? Juicy tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, crisp red onions, romaine lettuce, savoury olives and crumbled feta cheese all drenched in an incredible lemon vinaigrette. Umm… seconds, please!!!
I usually make this for dinner on Wednesdays when my hubby works late so it is just me for dinner. Yes, I tend to be lower maintanence when I am not making food for anyone else. When I make this for dinner, I like to make a complete meal out of it and add a piece of grilled chicken breast for added protein.
The great thing about this salad is that you can make lots at once and store it in your fridge for lunches throughout the week. Just be sure to keep the vinaigrette separate and only add it to the salad that you are consuming that day. So whenever I make this, I double or even triple the quantities of the vegetables so that I have enough leftovers to take to work for lunch the next couple of days. I store the salad in an airtight container and store the lemon vinaigrette in a separate container on the side.
The Perfect Greek Salad: Juicy tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, crisp red onions, romaine lettuce, savoury olives and crumbled feta cheese drenched in a lemon vinaigrette.
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1 cup red onion, chopped (roughly 1 small red onion)
- 1 and 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced and chopped into quarters (roughly 1 medium cucumber)
- 1/4 cup whole Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
For the sweet lemon vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, olives and feta cheese.
- In a small bowl, make the lemon vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Add more black pepper to taste.