Fresh tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, crisp red onions, green peppers, romaine lettuce, savoury olives and crumbled feta cheese all tossed in a homemade lemon vinaigrette makes for the most perfect Greek salad. This refreshing classic salad takes just a few minutes to prep and toss together.
I love Greek food and I love salad... so it goes without saying that I love Greek salad. In fact, it is probably my favourite salad of all time. For starters, I could eat olives and feta cheese all day. I eat olives… out of the container… with a spoon… So, how can I say no to a salad that contains all of my favourites?
What is in Greek Salad?
- grape tomatoes - or cherry tomatoes.
- red onion
- green pepper
- Kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- romaine lettuce - lettuce is usually not in authentic and traditional Greek salad. I like to add a little to add some more body to the salad. Plus, I like the extra crunch.
- sweet lemon vinaigrette - made with olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
How to Make the Best Greek Salad
- Prep and combine the romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, green peppers, olives and feta cheese in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, make the lemon vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Pour vinaigrette over the salad and toss to combine. Add more black pepper to taste.
Tips for Making Greek Salad
- Make it in advance. The great thing about this salad is that you can make lots at once and store it in your fridge for lunches throughout the week. Just be sure to keep the vinaigrette separate and only add it to the salad that you are consuming that day.
- Double the recipe. So whenever I make this, I double or even triple the quantities of the vegetables so that I have enough leftovers to take to work for lunch the next couple of days.
- How to store. Store the salad in an airtight container and store the lemon vinaigrette in a separate container on the side.
More Greek-Inspired Recipes
- Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- Souvlaki Beef Shish Kebabs
- Easy Tzatziki Sauce (Cucumber Yogurt Dip)
- Quick and Easy Pita Bread
- Easy Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki
- Juicy Baked Chicken Breast with Greek Souvlaki Marinade
- Greek Lamb Souvlaki Skewers
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.