September is all about apples aka fall's favourite fruit! So let's have an apple today and keep the doctor away with this fresh, fall favourite -- apple walnut salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Not only is it healthy for you, but it will beautifully decorate any dinner table this season.
This salad just takes a few classic fall ingredients, throws them together to make fall salad perfection! Apples give this apple walnut salad an amazing crunchy kick, the walnuts add some depth, and the cranberries balance the salad out with that little extra sweetness and taste of the holidays. These three are kind of a match made in heaven!
The crunchy kick of apples in a salad is kind of an obsession of mine and why I take any opportunity to add them to my salads... Some of my past favourites have been my winter kale salad with apple cider vinaigrette and my arugula salad with apple and pecan. But when using apples in salads, one problem I sometimes face is the apples turning brown. So if I am serving this at a dinner party, I will usually cut up and add the apples just before serving. Or to save time, you can slice the apples beforehand and let them soak in some lemon water before adding them to your salad and re-tossing.
Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
Let's take a minute to talk about homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Gone are the days where you need to stock up the fridge with store-bought salad dressing. Making your own at home takes literally 2 minutes and uses ingredients that you probably already have at home. Plus, double the recipe and save half in the fridge for the following week!
Got a big bag of apples from Costco? Here are some other ways to use them up this season!
- Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Caramel Apples
- Cinnamon Apple Baked Oatmeal
- Applesauce Pancakes with Caramel Apple Topping
- Apple Cardamom Cake with Caramel Pecan Butter Frosting
Have an apple today and keep the doctor away with this fresh, fall favourite -- apple walnut salad with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Throw together crisp apples, crunchy walnuts, and sweet cranberries for a taste of the holidays.
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup red onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
- In a small bowl, make the balsamic vinaigrette by whisking together vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine salad greens, apple, red onions, walnuts, dried cranberries, and feta cheese. Pour dressing over top and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Salad