Happy September! It's that time of the year where you are getting the kids ready for back to school, or you are getting ready to go to work after a long summer vacation, or you are getting ready for game day season to start up again. Well, one less thing to think about is food. Back to school turkey pinwheels are bite-sized finger food perfection and will make back-to-school lunch planning for the kids OR entertaining guests at lunchtime OR serving appys on game day a total breeze!
These pinwheels (or rollups) are ready in literally 15 minutes. Just grab:
- large tortillas (the smaller ones don’t provide enough space to roll up into pinwheels!),
- your favourite sliced deli meat (hello, turkey!),
- a leafy green (spinach, arugula, mixed spring greens),
- your favourite sliced or shredded cheese,
- fresh sliced or chopped tomatoes (switching out for sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers would be great, too!),
- drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste
and get rolling!
And the secret to any memorable sandwich? A good sauce! This one can be made from 3 basic ingredients you probably always keep on hand — ketchup, mayonnaise, and sweet pickle relish. Honestly, I put this sauce on every sandwich I make. It instantly elevates the flavour!
Seriously, if there are kids in your life, they will go crazy for these mini roll ups they can eat with their hands! This is one lunch you’ll come back to again and again.
Turkey pinwheels are bite-sized finger food perfection and will make back-to-school lunch planning for the kids, entertaining guests at lunchtime, or serving appys at game day a total breeze!
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon relish
- 4 large flour tortillas or sandwich wraps
- 1/2 lb. cracked pepper turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 lb. provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, and relish, then stir to combine. Lay out each tortilla or wrap on a cutting board, then spread about 1 heaping tablespoon of sauce on each, leaving the top 1” of each round empty.
- Layer sliced turkey, spinach, cheese, and chopped tomatoes on each tortilla or wrap. Drizzle each with about 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste), and a pinch of black pepper.
- Carefully roll each up beginning at the bottom, then slice into 1/4-inch thick pinwheels. Secure any loose pieces with toothpicks as needed. Keep refrigerated, then serve cool or at room temperature.
These pinwheels can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
- Category: Sandwich