Pumpkin spice — is there any other flavour more indicative of the arrival of fall? Once you start seeing those pumpkin spice lattes arrive at Starbucks or pumpkin recipes all over your favourite blogs or in restaurants, you know that sweater weather and boots are just around the corner, if not already here. So we are celebrating the arrival of fall this year with pumpkin pie bundt cake with cream cheese glaze, and I cannot be more excited!
The beauty of this cake is that it is thick and dense, but also surprisingly light! It’s warm from the mixture of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice blend, and absolutely benefits from a hearty drizzle of cream cheese glaze. Can you think of a more perfect pair?!
My only regret with this cake is that I didn’t make it sooner. I’ll be dreaming of these flavours all season long.
Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
This recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice mix. You can also make your own by mixing together a few simple ingredients:
- 1 and ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
This will yield 2 and ½ tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice mix. Although this bundt cake only requires 2 teaspoons of the mix, you can store the rest in an airtight container for use in other recipes.
Celebrate fall this year with think and dense, yet surprisingly light, pumpkin pie bundt cake with cream cheese glaze. Can you think of a more perfect pair?
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin pie mix
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix*
- 1 and ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ⅓ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a bundt pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Place sugar, brown sugar, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment fitted. Beat until well combined, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, making sure to mix fully before adding the next.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla extract, then beat until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, pumpkin pie spice mix, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- With the mixer on low, add a third of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk, ending with the flour. Scrape down sides, then mix once more.
- Spoon cake into prepared bundt pan, then bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool completely before glazing.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, then whisk until smooth. Add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, and whisk until desired thickness is reached. Drizzle on top of cooled cake.
You can make your own pumpkin pie spice mix by mixing together a few spices. See above in post for instructions.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking