Smooth and creamy roasted red pepper hummus is a delicious and flavourful dip that is both vegan and gluten-free. This healthy appetizer is made with a handful of classic ingredients including chickpeas, tahini, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice, with the addition of roasted red pepper. Roast your red pepper ahead of time and spend just a few minutes blending this hummus together. It's so easy to make.
Roasted red pepper hummus is a healthy dip to serve as a snack, appetizer, or late-night snack or as a spread on sandwiches and wraps. And this particular hummus is such a great way to sneak in some vegetables (hello red pepper!). If you like this dip, then you will love creamy hummus, avocado hummus, and pumpkin hummus.
Ingredients in Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
To make roasted red pepper hummus, you will need the following ingredients:
- red bell pepper
- chickpeas - one 400 ml (or 15 oz.) can of chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas.
- reserved canned water - this is the secret to getting really creamy hummus.
- tahini sesame paste
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- toppings - chickpeas, sesame seeds, and olive oil.
How to Make the Best Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Roast the red pepper. Line a quarter sheet baking pan with parchment paper and lay the halved red peppers cut side down. Roast in a 450 F preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until the skins are blackened and have collapsed. Allow the red peppers to cool for a few minutes until cool enough to handle. You can discard the blackened skin if you prefer. Then, chop up up the pepper into small pieces.
- Make the hummus. Place chopped red pepper, chickpeas, reserved liquid, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, paprika and salt, in a blender or food processor. Puree until well blended and creamy.
- Serve. Pour the hummus into a bowl and drizzle some olive oil on top. Garnish with reserved chickpeas, roasted sesame seeds, and a sprinkle of paprika. You could also add a few pieces of chopped roasted red pepper.
Tips for Making Hummus
- How to serve: You can serve this roasted red pepper hummus as a dip or spread in almost any kind of bread. Some of my favourites are sourdough crackers, pita bread, naan flatbread, or sourdough. Or keep this snack completely gluten-free by serving it with fruit and veggies.
- How to store: Store roasted red pepper hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
- How to freeze: You can freeze hummus in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer. To serve, let it thaw in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
More Dips and Spreads
- Smooth and Creamy Hummus
- Easy Tzatziki Sauce (Yogurt Cucumber Dip)
- Baked Spinach Dip
- Easy Guacamole
- Creamy Avocado Hummus
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Baba Ganoush Eggplant Dip
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.