Sometimes you can't decide whether you want hummus or guacamole. Well why not have both? At the same time? Smooth, creamy, avocado hummus is the perfect solution. It's basically a creamy hummus loaded with extra avocado, lime juice, and cilantro. It takes 5 minutes to make AND it's super healthy for you, because well... avocado and chickpeas. You may never go back to regular hummus after trying this oh so addictive version.
I am obsessed with making homemade dips because I am just not a fan of the ingredients used in the those store-bought ones. There are usually packed with preservatives and other filler ingredients. I would rather be in full control of what is going into my food, and in control of how much or how little to make. Plus, I can make it as creamy as I want (and I like it super creamy!). It's also way faster to make this avocado hummus at home than running to the store.
Ingredients in Avocado Hummus
- avocado - one large ripe avocado
- canned chickpeas - and some reserved liquid to achieve the desired consistency that you want.
- tahini sesame paste - to get that hummus taste
- cilantro - for the guac taste.
- extra virgin olive oil - to help the avocado hummus get creamy.
- freshly squeezed lime juice - for the guac taste.
- garlic - for flavour.
- salt - for flavour.
- roasted sesame seeds - optional for garnish
The main two ingredients in this dip are avocados and chickpeas. They are powerhouse ingredients when some amazing nutrients and health benefits. So when they come together, you know it's going to be amazing. They are high in protein, fibre, iron, vitamin E and copper. Can it get any healthier?
But nutritional value aside, these two together create an incredible, creamy texture that is essential in the perfect dip. not it is not just the nutritious value of these together that is amazing. Chickpeas become incredibly creamy when blended, so just imagine what you get when you add some creamy ripe avocado and a few tablespoons of good olive oil in there. Heaven.
How to Make Creamy Avocado Hummus
With just a few ingredients and a few minutes, you can create this delicious, creamy avocado hummus. It requires almost no prep, other than gathering the ingredients, rinsing and draining the chickpeas, and peeling the avocado and garlic. Which is why this is the perfect recipe to make when you are having a last minute snack craving... because you can literally make this at the last minute.
To make avocado hummus, simply combine all the ingredients into a blender and pulse. Then, add in some reserved chickpea water to thin out the hummus, until you reach your desired consistency.
To serve, transfer into a bowl, drizzle some olive oil on top, and garnish with reserved chickpeas, roasted sesame seeds and some chopped avocado.
Tips for Serving Avocado Dip
- How to roast chickpeas. Toss chickpeas in some olive oil, and roast in the air fryer at 350 F for 5-8 minutes. You can also bake in the oven at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.
- How to serve. This dip is best made and served immediately. If you let the dip sit out too long, it will start to turn brown because of the avocados. Serve with some slices of homemade french baguettes, as part of a charcuterie board with pita chips, breadsticks and/or veggies for dipping. Or make some homemade pita bread to dip into.
- Make ahead of time. If you are planning to make this ahead of time, then store in an airtight container and be sure press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the dip to prevent the surface from turning brown. Then attach the lid of your container on top.
More Dip Recipes
- Smooth and Creamy Hummus
- Easy Tzatziki Sauce (Yogurt Cucumber Dip)
- Baba Ganoush Eggplant Dip
- Baked Creamy Spinach Dip
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
Healthy, 5-minute, smooth and creamy avocado hummus is the perfect blend of hummus and guacamole. It's hummus loaded with avocado, lime juice, and cilantro.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 (400 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve 3-4 tablespoons of the liquid and 10 chickpeas for garnish)
- 1/4 cup tahini sesame paste
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- roasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Place avocado, chickpeas, tahini, cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt, in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth and creamy. Slowly add in reserved liquid, one tablespoon at a time, until you reach the desired creamy consistency that you like.
- Pour avocado hummus into a bowl and drizzle some olive oil on top. Garnish with reserved chickpeas (as is or roasted), roasted sesame seeds and some chopped avocado.
How to roast chickpeas for the topping: Toss in some olive oil, and roast in the air fryer at 350 F for 5-8 minutes. You can also bake them in the oven at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.
How to serve avocado hummus. This dip is best made and served immediately. If you let the dip sit out too long, it will start to turn brown because of the avocados. Serve with some slices of homemade french baguettes, as part of a charcuterie board with pita chips, breadsticks and/or veggies for dipping. Or make some homemade pita bread to dip into.
Make ahead of time. If you are planning to make this ahead of time, then store in an airtight container and be sure press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the dip to prevent the surface from turning brown. Then attach the lid of your container on top.
- Category: Dip
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: avocado hummus, avocado dip, hummus, guacamole