Calling all pesto lovers! Smooth and creamy pesto hummus is a healthy, delicious and flavourful dip that is easy to make in just 5 minutes. This keto and gluten-free appetizer is made with a handful of traditional ingredients including chickpeas, tahini, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice, with the addition of basil pesto. Make extra because this stuff is addictive.
Pesto hummus is my new favourite way to use up any leftover pesto I have in the fridge. It's a quick and easy way to to incorporate more healthy snacks and appetizers into your diet, and it's also pretty amazing spread on sandwiches and wraps.
Ingredients in Pesto Hummus
To make easy pesto hummus, you will need the following ingredients:
- chickpeas - one 400 ml (or 15 oz.) can of chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas.
- reserved canned water - this is the secret to getting really creamy hummus.
- tahini sesame paste
- basil pesto - you can substitute this with your favourite kind of pesto such as sun-dried tomato pesto or avocado basil pesto.
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- toppings - chickpeas, sesame seeds, olive oil, and pesto.
How to Make the Best Pesto Hummus
Hummus is one of the easiest dips to make. It is a simple, throw everything into a blender recipe that requires almost no prep, other than measuring ingredients. To make this pesto hummus, place all the ingredients (chickpeas, reserved liquid, basil pesto, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt) into a blender or food processor. Puree until well blended and creamy.
Pour into a serving bowl, drizzle some olive oil on top and garnish with reserved chickpeas, roasted sesame seeds, and a few spoonfuls of pesto.
- How to serve: You can serve pesto hummus as a dip or spread in almost any kind of bread. Some of my favourites are sourdough crackers, pita bread, naan flatbread, or sourdough. Or keep this snack completely gluten-free by serving it with fruit and veggies.
- How to store: Store pesto hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
- How to freeze: You can freeze hummus in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer. To serve, let it thaw in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Whipped Ricotta Dip
- Baked Spinach Dip
- Easy Guacamole
- Smooth and Creamy Hummus
- Easy Tzatziki Sauce (Yogurt Cucumber Dip)
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Baba Ganoush Eggplant Dip
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.