Sticky honey garlic meatballs are a delicious and flavourful 30-minute meal to add to your weekly dinner rotation. These tender and juicy Asian meatballs are baked, tossed in a sweet and sticky honey garlic sauce, and topped with green onions and sesame seeds. They are a quick and easy weeknight dinner to prepare over a bowl of steamed rice, or on their own as a bite-sized appetizer on game day. They are seriously so good and loved by everyone who tries them. A total crowd pleaser.
Meatballs are always a go-to weeknight dinner because they are so quick and easy to make and are ready in under 30 minutes. Some of our other favourites for busy weeknights are classic Spaghetti and Meatballs and Baked Turkey Meatballs.
To make sticky honey garlic meatballs, you will need the following ingredients:
- ground beef
- green onions
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- honey garlic sauce - the honey garlic sauce takes less than 5 minutes to make with a combination of rice vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, cornstarch (or flour), and water.
How to Make the Best Sticky Honey Garlic Meatballs
- Prepare the meatballs. In a large mixing bowl, combine beef with bread crumbs, onion, green onions, egg, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well to form into a uniform consistency. Take 2 spoonfuls of beef mixture at a time and roll into 1.5-inch thick meatballs. Transfer the meatballs into a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper and lightly coat with some oil to keep them from sticking, if needed.
- Bake the meatballs. Bake in a 400F preheated oven for 15 minutes until fully cooked, and set aside. The internal temperature should reach 160F, as read on a meat thermometer.
- Prepare the honey garlic sauce. In a medium mixing bowl, add vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, cornstarch and water. Whisk well to combine until cornstarch and sugar dissolves. In a shallow saucepan, stir in sauce mixture and heat over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring until thickened to a desired consistency.
- Serve. Add the meatballs to the saucepan and toss well to coat evenly. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds and serve warm on its own or over a bowl of steamed rice or fried rice.
How to Cook Honey Garlic Meatballs in the Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 375 F, about 3 minutes. Place meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket and lightly spray with cooking oil to coat evenly. Air fry the meatballs for 12-14 minutes until browned and the center of the meatball reaches 160 F as read on a meat thermometer. Shake the basket halfway during cooking to brown evenly.
Storing and Freezing Instructions
- How to store: Store sticky honey garlic meatballs in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply reheat in a shallow saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through (or in the microwave). You may need to add a little water if the sauce thickened up too much in the refrigerator.
- How to freeze: You can freeze the meatballs before tossing them into the sauce. Bake and let them cool down, then transfer into a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- How to reheat from frozen: Allow the meatballs to thaw overnight in the refrigerator first, then reheat on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. Prepare the honey garlic sauce and toss the meatballs in.
More Ground Beef Recipes
- Ground Beef Meat Pie
- Beef Potstickers (Dumplings)
- Easy Meat Lasagna
- Sheet Pan Nachos
- Beef Cabbage Barley Soup
- Spaghetti Bolognese
- Classic Juicy Hamburgers
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.