Sticky honey garlic meatballs are a delicious and flavourful 30-minute meal to add to your weekly dinner rotation. A total crowd pleaser.
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onions, finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- sesame seeds (for garnish)
For the honey garlic sauce:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch (or flour)
- 2 tablespoons water
Prepare the Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef with bread crumbs, onion, green onions, egg, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well to form into a uniform consistency.
- Take 2 spoonfuls of beef mixture at a time and roll into 1.5-inch thick meatballs. Transfer the meatballs into a large half sheet baking pan lined with parchment paper and lightly coat with some oil to keep them from sticking, if needed.
- Bake for 15 minutes until fully cooked, and set aside. The internal temperature should reach 160F, as read on a meat thermometer.
Prepare the Honey Garlic Sauce:
- In a medium mixing bowl, add vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, cornstarch and water. Whisk well to combine until cornstarch and sugar dissolves.
- In a shallow saucepan, stir in sauce mixture and heat over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring until thickened to a desired consistency.
Air fryer instructions: Preheat the air fryer to 375 F, about 3 minutes. Place the meatballs in a single layer in the air fryer basket and lightly spray with cooking oil to coat evenly. Air fry the meatballs for 12-14 minutes until browned and the center of the meatball reaches 160 F as read on a meat thermometer. Shake the basket halfway during cooking to brown evenly.
How to store: Store sticky honey garlic meatballs in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply reheat in a shallow saucepan on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through (or in the microwave). You may need to add a little water if the sauce thickened up too much in the refrigerator.
How to freeze: You can freeze the meatballs before tossing them into the sauce. Bake and let them cool down, then transfer into a freezer-safe airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat from frozen: Allow the meatballs to thaw overnight in the refrigerator first, then reheat on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. Prepare the honey garlic sauce and toss the meatballs in.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Ground Beef
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: sticky honey garlic meatballs, honey garlic meatballs, baked honey garlic meatballs, sticky asian meatballs, baked asian meatballs