Better than the steakhouse, these classic juicy hamburgers are perfectly seasoned with some secret ingredients that take it to another level. They are so tender and juicy, so delicious and so flavourful -- literally the best burgers ever. With just 10 minutes of prep, you can make them at home today. Plus, you can make these burgers over the grill or on the stove in a cast-iron skillet.
What is in the Juiciest Hamburgers?
- ground beef - I used lean ground beef.
- Panko breadcrumbs
- cheddar cheese
- pickle juice - You can use cold water instead. I often use pickle juice in my burger patties because they make the burger juicier and adds so much flavour. Pickle juice contains water, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, dill and a variety of spices.
- garlic powder
- Worcestershire sauce - optional.
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil or cooking spray oil - for grilling.
- hamburger buns - make your own easy homemade hamburger buns in under 3 hours with only 15 minutes of actual prep work. They are soft, fluffy, and airy.
- toppings - mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, red onions, pickles, and ketchup. These are my favourite toppings, but they are all completely optional. Feel free to top these burgers with whatever toppings that you like.
How to Make Classic Juicy Hamburgers
- Make the patties: In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, parsley, pickle juice, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce (optional), and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Shape the ground beef mixture into a firm ball. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Shape the patties: Transfer the ground beef mixture onto a large piece of parchment paper. Flatten the ground beef with your hands into a square that is ½-inch thick (approximately an 8x8-inch square). Use a 4-inch wide circular mold (or the rim of a round bowl) to cut out 4 hamburger patties.
- Grill the hamburger patties: Brush oil over the grill pan and heat over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until the oil starts to sizzle and shimmer. Place patties spaced apart on the grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side until the internal temperature for the patties reaches 160 F.
- Assemble the hamburgers: Toast the buns on the grill, if desired. On each hamburger bun, spread mayonnaise onto the bottom half. Top with a piece of lettuce and a grilled hamburger patty. Top the patty with sliced tomato, onions and pickles. Add ketchup on top and place the top half of the bun on top.
How to Make Burgers in a Skillet
If you don't have a grill, make these burgers in a cast-iron skillet. Heat oil in the skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes until sizzling hot. Place patties on the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes until nicely seared and starting to brown up the sides. Flip the patties over and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the internal temperature for the patties reaches 160 F.
Tips for Making Classic Hamburgers
- How to tell if the burger is cooked. A digital meat thermometer is very useful when grilling meat for checking doneness. Simply insert halfway inside the meat to get a quick measurement.
- How to serve hamburgers. Serve warm with a side of crispy french fries or sweet potato wedges and a side salad. I love a good potato salad or a pasta salad with this.
- How to freeze hamburger patties. You can freeze the uncooked hamburger patties for up to 3 months. Place them on a parchment lined baking tray and place in the freezer for an hour. Then, stack them up and layer small squares of parchment paper in between them. Store in an airtight ziploc bag and place back in the freezer. To use them, defrost overnight in the refrigerator and follow the recipe.
- Make your own artisan hamburger buns. You can make your own easy homemade hamburger buns in under 3 hours with only 15 minutes of actual prep work. These buns are soft, fluffy, and so airy. Totally worth the extra effort.
More Burger Recipes
- Rosemary Thyme Quarter Pound Burgers
- 15-Minute Fish Burger with Homemade Tarter Sauce
- Spinach and Feta Turkey Burgers
- Veggie Burger with Lima Beans
- Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi Sandwich
- Easy Homemade Hamburger Buns
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.