Super crispy air fryer french fries are perfectly tender and fluffy on the inside and so crunchy on the outside. They are a healthier french fry that doesn't compromise on the taste and texture of your favourite restaurant-quality fries. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you think they taste better. Plus, they take just 12 minutes to make in the air fryer. 12 minutes. Mind blown.
Ingredients in French Fries
- russet potatoes - scrubbed and sliced into french fry strips. I keep the skin on but feel free to peel them off if that is what you prefer.
- olive oil - tossed in a little olive oil, which is healthier than the vegetable oil that restaurant french fries are covered in.
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder - optional, but highly recommended.
- flaked sea salt - for serving.
How to Make the Best Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
- Preheat the air fryer on 375 F for 5 minutes.
- Slice the potatoes into long strips (french fry shape), roughly ¼-inch thick. (I keep the skin on but you can peel the skin if you prefer).
- Transfer sliced potatoes into a large bowl and add olive oil, salt, garlic powder (optional), and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Place a single layer of potatoes into the air fryer basket and cook for 12-13 minutes, until crispy and golden. Do not overlap the potatoes as they will not cook evenly and crispy. I usually have to do this in 2 batches for the size of my air fryer.
- Serve immediately with some flaked sea salt on top and a side of ketchup, spicy mayo or other dipping sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What air fryer do you use? I have the Philips Digital Turbostar Air Fryer. We love it and have only good things to say about it.
- Can I double this recipe? Yes, you can double or triple the recipe, but you will have to make it in batches. To get tender but crispy french fries, you need to place them in the air fryer basket in one layer. If you start stacking them up and overcrowding the basket, they will not cook evenly and you may not get that crispy texture.
- I don't have an air fryer, can I still make this? Yes, you can make this easily in the oven. Spread the fries in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 425 F, flipping the fries over halfway.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- The Best Breaded Air Fryer Fried Chicken Wings
- 6-Minute Air Fryer Asparagus
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Spring Vegetables "Stir Fry" with Tofu
- Easy Air Fryer Lamb Chops with Dijon Garlic Marinade
- Air Fryer Black Cod with Black Bean Sauce
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.