My husband did it again. Seriously, just look at what he made for me. My mouth was salivating when I saw it, when I ate it, and still when I think about it! Flaky, oily, and tender air fryer cod with black bean sauce. Yes, you read that right. This fish was made in the air fryer and in under 20 minutes!
So traditionally, this dish is made by steaming the cod. But now that we have an air fryer, we are pushing all boundaries and experimenting with what we can make in this. Why? Well, because it is just so much more convenient to cook in the air fryer. It is quicker and easier. I mean, for starters, you don't need to boil a big pot of water, set up the steamer, arrange your fish on top... you get the drift.
The best part of cooking black cod in the air fryer is that the air fryer really brings out the fish's natural oils. When you steam the fish, you don't really see how oily the fish is, as it gets lost in the sauce.
Black Cod (or Sablefish)
Black cod, also called sablefish, is currently in season here in B.C. (in season in October through December). So you can easily find it in the fish markets and grocery stores. It is also relatively cheaper to buy when in season, roughly $10 per pound, which is comparable to the price of salmon.
Why should you add black cod to your dinner rotation? Well, contrary to popular belief, black cod has the same, if not more, omega-3 fatty acids content as salmon. So it is a very healthy fish for consumption. But it is recommended that you limit your consumption to one serving per week at most.
Black Bean Sauce
Black bean sauce is a very common condiment used in Chinese cuisine. The black beans in the sauce have a very unique texture and flavour as it is fermented over a period of time, giving it it's salty and savoury taste (think umami). It is also very healthy due to its fermented probiotic elements.
We made the sauce using black bean paste mixed with maggi sauce. You could also purchase black bean sauce from an Asian market and just add some soy sauce to it.
So head over to your local grocery store or fish market and pick up some black cod before the season is over. You can serve this alongside some fried rice or noodles.Print
Air Fryer Black Cod with Black Bean Sauce
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 2 steaks
- Diet: Gluten Free
Flaky, oily, and tender air fryer cod with black bean sauce is bursting with flavour and takes less than 20 minutes to make. The perfect weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb. (400 g) piece of black cod, cut into 2 steaks (½-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (approximately 4 cloves garlic)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- jalapeño slices, for garnish (optional)
Black Bean Sauce:
- ½ tablespoon fermented black beans
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon maggi sauce (flavored soy sauce)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- In a large ziploc bag, add garlic, soy sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Shake well to combine. Add cod steaks to the ziploc bag, press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Press the marinade around the cod to coat it. Place bag in the fridge and marinate for least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Remove the marinated cod out of the bag and place them on the air frying basket, spaced evenly. Cook at 350 F for 17 minutes.
- In the mean time, prepare the black bean sauce. In a small bowl, add fermented black beans, water, maggi sauce, and sesame oil. Stir to mix evenly
- Remove cod from the air fryer and place in a dish. Garnish with cilantro and jalapeños (optional). Pour the black bean sauce over top of the fish and serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes (+30 minutes to marinate)
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: air fryer black cod with black bean sauce, air fryer cod, how to cook cod in the air fryer, air fryer fish
Christian Dior says
Just made it today!! Such a delicious and healthy choice of dinner. Thanks.
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
You are so welcome! So glad you like the recipe 🙂
Rebecca Blackwell says
I bought my mom an air fryer for Christmas last year and she's barely used it, even though I KNOW she'll love it. Anyway, cod is her favorite kind of seafood - one of her favorite foods, period - so I sent this recipe to her. She responded that the pictures made it look so delicious, she's heading out to find the ingredients now so she can make it tonight. I think I should go over and eat it with her. 🙂 Thanks for a great, inspiring recipe!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Amazing!! Thanks for sharing my recipe with her and I hope she loves it! Let me know how it goes and if you ended up going over there and eating it with her! 🙂
What a delicious fish dish! I love the presentation. Fermented black beans has such a distinctive flavour that I really like. I can't believe that you can cook cod like this in the air fryer. I'm really considering getting one now!
Sam | Ahead of Thyme says
Thank you!! You should totally get one! It's been a game changer for us 🙂