Velvety, smooth, and creamy, this savoury mashed sweet potatoes dish is quick and easy and can be made ahead of time -- which makes it the perfect side for your holiday meal.
Preparing holiday dinners is stressful enough, luckily savoury mashed sweet potatoes aren't. Just like regular mashed potatoes, this dish is quick, easy and can be prepared a day in advance. It takes literally 10 minutes to prep and 15 minutes to cook. Now that is my kind of recipe.
Plus, you can make everything in one pot. You boil the sweet potatoes in your pot, drain them, add the rest of the ingredients, mash and serve! I mean, it doesn't get any easier than that...
So what exactly do you need to make these sweet potatoes? Just 5 main ingredients + salt and pepper.
- sweet potatoes
- green onions
- garlic powder (or you can use a minced clove of garlic)
This recipe makes 4-6 side servings, so if you are feeding a large group, go ahead and double up or even triple up. This stuff is like gold, it will disappear so fast.
Velvety, smooth, and creamy, this savoury mashed sweet potatoes dish is quick and easy and can be made ahead of time -- it is the perfect side for your holiday meal.
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes (approximately 2 large), peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons green onions (green parts)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water to cover potatoes by about an inch. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until tender and soft when you insert a fork, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Drain sweet potatoes and place back in the pot. Mash them using a potato masher (or a fork).
- Add in the butter and stir until melted and incorporated into the sweet potatoes. Slowly add in the milk and continue to stir. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with extra green onions and serve warm.
- Store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Category: Side Dish
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Herb-roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish for your holiday table or dinner table on any night. It is one of my go-to's since it is super easy, taking only about 10 minutes of prep time. Your oven basically does all the work.
- The combination of salty, sweet, and a hint of spice makes baked sweet potato wedges with homemade honey mustard sauce the perfect appetizer or side dish.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, or vegetarian? Try this delicious and flavourful Thai yam and sweet potato yellow curry. Ready in under 30 minutes, this recipe combines starchy vegetables and Thai curry to create a creamy vegetarian yellow curry.