Creamy, buttery, and delicious, this is the best and creamiest mashed potatoes recipe you will ever find. It has the most velvety and smooth texture that literally melts in your mouth. The best part? It's so easy to make in under 30 minutes.
To make the best and creamiest mashed potatoes, you will need the following ingredients:
- potatoes - I would recommend Yukon gold or russet potatoes, or a combination of the two. They make for the creamiest potatoes when mashed.
- butter - I used unsalted butter. You can use salted butter but then do not add any additional salt.
- cream cheese - can be substituted with sour cream.
- half and half cream - can be substituted with whole milk, or half heavy cream and half milk.
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley - optional, for garnish on top.
How to Make the Best and Creamiest Mashed Potatoes
- Boil the potatoes. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water to cover potatoes by about an inch. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are soft when you insert a fork.
- Drain and mash. Drain potatoes and place back in the pot. Use a potato masher (or a fork) to mash the potatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Add in the butter and cream cheese and use an electric hand mixer to mix until melted and incorporated into the potatoes. Slowly add in the cream and continue to whisk with the electric mixer. Add salt and pepper.
- Serve. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish, garnish with parsley, extra butter and serve warm.
Tips for Making Creamy Mashed PotatoesThe secret to getting super smooth and fluffy mashed potatoes are:
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small pieces. Peeling and chopping the potatoes into 1-inch pieces ensures that they are cooked evenly and therefore, soft and tender throughout.
- Use an electric mixer. First, mash the potatoes and then mix all the ingredients together with an electric hand mixer. The result is smoother, velvetier mashed potatoes.
- Don't hold back on the dairy. You don't want to skip out on the butter, cream or cream cheese. These ingredients help make this dish even smoother and creamier. It may not be the healthiest dish, but it is all around comfort food and so delicious. (If you are looking a healthier, no cream option, try my healthy mashed potatoes).
How to Serve Mashed Potatoes
Creamy mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish to pretty much any meal that you can think of. I like to pair it with roast chicken, steak, lamb chops, or turkey. And let's not forget it's spot on the Thanksgiving dinner table. Some of my other favourite sides to serve during the holidays are garlic green beans, roasted butternut squash, and sweet potato casserole.
How to Make Ahead and Store
Preparing dinner, especially during the holidays, is super stressful, but thankfully making mashed potatoes isn't. This recipe is quick, easy and can be prepared up to 3 days ahead. If making it ahead, I would recommend leaving out the butter. Then, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove or microwave. Add the butter and serve. No one will know the difference.
More Potato Recipes
- Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin
- Hasselback Potatoes with Garlic Herb Butter
- Crispy Air Fryer French Fries
- Savoury Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.
This recipe was originally posted in October 2017. It has been completely updated with new photos and tips.Print