Say good-bye to lumpy, bland and dry mashed potatoes this year!! I introduce the best and creamiest mashed potatoes. These potatoes are so velvety and so smooth. Your holiday table has never looked better! Seriously.
Preparing holiday dinners is super stressful, but mashed potatoes doesn’t have to be. This recipe is a life-saver. It is quick, easy and can be prepared the day before. Just make this recipe without the butter, store in the refrigerator, and reheat the next day adding in the butter. Voila! No one will ever know the difference.
The secret to getting these super smooth and fluffy mashed potatoes are:
- Peel and chop the potatoes into 1-inch pieces. This ensures that they are cooked evenly and are soft and tender throughout.
- Mash the potatoes and mix the ingredients together using an electric hand mixer. The result is smoother, velvetier mashed potatoes.
- Don’t hold back on the butter, cream and cream cheese. This is not supposed to be the healthiest dish! I mean it is the holidays… which means that all bets are off! (If you are looking a healthier, no cream option, try my healthy mashed potatoes).
No holiday table is complete without a serving of the best and creamiest mashed potatoes. These potatoes are so velvety and so smooth!
- 3 lbs. yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (approx. 4 large potatoes)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup (or 2 ounces) cream cheese
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- fresh chopped parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water to cover potatoes by about an inch. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes soft when you insert a fork.
- Drain potatoes and place back in the pot. Using a potato masher (or a fork), mash the potatoes.
- Using an electric hand mixer, add in the butter and cream cheese and mix until melted and incorporated into the potatoes.
- Slowly add in the cream and continue to whisk with the electric mixer. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish, garnish with parsley and serve hot!