Better than the steakhouse, tender and juicy ribeye steak with a perfect seared crust is garlicky, buttery and packed with so much flavour. All it takes is a few simple ingredients, a cast-iron skillet or grill pan, and It is surprisingly super quick and easy to make at home in about 30 minutes, including wait time. Complete the meal with a side of creamy mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables.
What You Need to Make Ribeye Steak
You really don't need a whole lot to make a delicious and juicy ribeye steak. All you need are:
- ribeye steak - make sure to get good quality steaks about 1-inch thick and weighing ½ pound each.
- salt and pepper
- olive oil - for brushing the grill pan or cast-iron skillet.
- butter - for basting on the steak during the cooking process.
- garlic - for flavour.
How to Make the Best Grilled Ribeye Steak
First, prepare the steaks by transferring them out of the fridge 20-30 minutes before you begin, and let them rest at room temperature. Then, pat the steaks dry and season with salt flakes and pepper.
Now it's time to grill. Brush olive oil over a grill pan or skillet and heat over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Place steaks on the grill and cook for 1 minute, then rotate it 90 degrees to create criss cross grill marks and cook for another minute.
Add butter and minced garlic and baste the steaks by repeatedly pouring the butter and garlic mixture over the steaks with a spoon. Cook until level of desired doneness is reached (see below), then let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
What is the Difference Between Medium-Rare, Medium, and Well-Done Steak?
- For rare, cook until the internal temperature reaches 130-135 F. A rare steak will be charred and brown on the outside but completely red in the inside. The meat is very soft.
- For medium rare, cook until the internal temperature reaches 135 F. A medium rare steak is tender, soft, and moist with warm red center.
- For medium done, cook until the internal temperature reaches 140 F. has a hot center with almost no pink.
- For medium-well, cook until the internal temperature reaches 155 F. A medium-well steak is cooked fully through with no pink inside. It is more fleshy and resistant.
Tips for Making the Perfect Steak
- Season generously. The only need salt and pepper to season these steaks before grilling. For this recipe, you will need a full teaspoon of each.
- Make sure the grill or skillet is hot. To get the perfect sear on your steak, it is important that your pan is hot before you place the steaks inside.
- Baste the steak. Once you add your butter and garlic, make sure to baste the steak by repeatedly pouring the butter and garlic mixture over the steaks with a spoon. This adds to much more depth of flavour, adds a beautifully seared crust, and really enhances the taste and texture of the meat.
- How to check for doneness. Check for doneness by inserting a digital meat thermometer into the center of the meat to get a quick measurement. This tool is very useful when cooking meat for checking doneness.
- Let the steak rest. Once your steak is done, let it rest for 5 minutes before serving. Giving it a rest helps the flavours to develop even further.
More Beef Steak Recipes
- Souvlaki Beef Shish Kebabs
- Korean Beef Steak Tacos
- Korean Beef Steak Rice Bowl
- Surf and Turf Steak and Lobster Tails
- Easy Summer Grilling Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I would greatly appreciate a comment and rating below, letting me know what you thought of the recipe. You can also snap a picture and tag me on Instagram @aheadofthyme or share it on the Pinterest pin so that I can follow along.