There is something about December and big bowl of warm, slow cooker loaded baked potato soup that just go hand in hand. I pretty much like soup all year long but when the weather is chilly and we are on the brink of a snowfall, no other soup really makes as much sense. Excuse me while I take my crockpot out of storage. 🙂
Have you ever wanted to eat a baked potato with a spoon? Well, even if you never gave it much thought, now you can! Every spoonful of this soup is creamy, dreamy and delicious, topped with cheddar cheese, bacon bits and green onions. Heck, add in a spoonful of sour cream and now we are talking! Yup, this is officially the best soup ever!
What makes this soup even better? It's called a slow cooker. Which means I can prepare my ingredients the night before, turn the slow cooker on in the morning and leave it on all day. Then all that is left to do on the day of is to prepare your toppings. So easy!!! Who doesn't love dinner ready for you when you get home from work? Nope, I seriously cannot think of one person that wouldn't agree! And just wait until you walk into your kitchen and smell the amazing aroma that fills the entire room. You won't be able to wait 5 minutes before you pull out your spoon and take a bite right from the slow cooker.Print
Nothing says comfort food like a bowl of slow cooker loaded baked potato soup topped with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.
- 7 cups russet potatoes (about 4 large potatoes), chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3-4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- Combine all ingredients (except the cream and toppings) into a large crock pot.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low, until potatoes are tender.
- Mash gently with a potato masher until you reach the consistency that you like (I like to leave it a little lumpy). For a fully pureed soup, use a food processor to puree.
- Stir in the cream.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and sprinkle on cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and green onions.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American